Offset woodruff keys - number required

More threads by WGB

WGB

Just a simple fact to save a potential wait for parts.

Having replaced my 6.9 timing chain and being left a few degrees short I will be fitting offset woodruff keys to get the timing marks all aligned at TDC.

s class made a comment about three being required for a 6.9 as the RH cam has a long spacer between cog and the compensating washer with timing mark on it but this also includes the M117 and presumably the M116 V8's as well.

This doesn't seem to be mentioned in any of the factory manuals and I assumed only two were needed - but the Hayne's Manual does mention it as below.

TimingGear.jpg

Here is the diagram for the M117 showing it is the same.

As I was preparing for this job and possess a pair of 2 degree and a pair of 3 degree I have ordered another one of each before I tackle the job to avoid a potential wait with a stripped engine.

Bill

John S

WGB, are the existing keys already offset or zero type?

If they are already offset you will need to ad the extra 2 or 3 degrees to their offset size for the correct replacements.

OP
WGB

WGB

WGB, are the existing keys already offset or zero type?

If they are already offset you will need to ad the extra 2 or 3 degrees to their offset size for the correct replacements.

I haven't looked yet but as it was the original chain and looked unmolested before I replaced it I am assuming it has standard keys.

I will have a set of 2 and 3.5 degree keyways (3 of each) available before I start just in case I find a surprise like that so that it will cover 4 to 7 degree .

Bill

s class

Its not so much a question of 'could use more than one', but rather the right hand cam requires two.