New arrival in my shed

More threads by s class

s class

No, I didn't buy a car, its a car that belongs to a friend of mine. He's paying me to do some sorting out on it.

Its a very interesting car. W124 300TE, previously owned by the owner of AMG - South Africa (AMG set a satellite branch here in the early '90's, and it only lasted a few years). The car is a '91 with AMG mods done in '94.

The car is a real beast, stroked to 3.6 litres, apparently 300HP, and full AMG modded suspension and body kit. Its the real deal.

BUT - its had a bit of a front end bump that was previously unsatisfactorily repaired, and there are some front suspension alignment issues. The car also has fuelling problems, and a failed alternator. Plus a long list of cosmetic 'nice to haves'.

The owner is prepared to pay the right price for the right work. It should be an interesting project.

Yesterday we retrieved it from where it was stored about 30km from my house. Its been standing for 3 years, so there is some recomissioning work to be done as well. I towed it with trusty rusty - the extra load hardly impacted on the acceleration. ;)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
well that sounds exciting for you and hopefully rewarding.

Will you grace us with commentary and pictures of progress report?

OP
s class

s class

Of course there will be pictures!

This is as the car arrived yesterday. Its currently wearing 225/50ZR16 on lorinzer deep dish wheels - the car's 'everyday wheels'. The proper wheels are awaiting refurbishment - 17" AMG splits.

124090_002_18aug08.jpg

124090_003_18aug08.jpg

124090_004_18aug08.jpg

124090_005_18aug08.jpg

124090_006_18aug08.jpg

OP
s class

s class

124090_007_18aug08.jpg

124090_008_18aug08.jpg

124090_009_18aug08.jpg

124090_010_18aug08.jpg

124090_011_18aug08.jpg

124090_012_18aug08.jpg

124090_013_18aug08.jpg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Looks promising.

Note the famous 300km/h speedo. :D

116Benz

WOW, now that is cool in all ways possible, the worked 103 engine is kinda special. I notice the economy gauge has been deleted too, I spose when you're covering the ground at a rapid rate, it would be pointless. Very cool!

OP
s class

s class

I have to admit, I have never before admired a wagon, but this car has me very impressed from an aesthetic point of view. I like it. Well spotted on the economy guage - I didn't notice that.

116Benz

I had a boggo 300TE a few years ago, it was a love hate relationship (loved the car, hated what the previous owner did) but even a stock 3.0 was pretty capable, imagine what the AMG version is like.

OP
s class

s class

I removed the alternator this evening. The car had not been charing, apparently. The alternator had been rebuilt shortly before the car was sidelined. Real shoddy work. The regualtor is a no-name brand item with a big dent in the can at the back. I think its the culprit.

TJ 450

Is "charing" the new terminology for "burning rubber"?:D;)

On a more serious note, that is a very impressive car.

Tim

Last edited:

WGB

I notice the economy gauge has been deleted too,

The second series 124 from late 1993 was not fitted with the economy gauge - certainly in Australia anyway when I purchased a new E280 in January 1994 it didn't have one fitted.

The standard 6 cylinder 124's were very expensive to buy and I remember the final price for my E280 was over $130,000 on the road with $5,000 for the 8 slot alloy wheels being extra for that model.

I think the 3.6 AMG was sold in Oz but as an E320 came close to $150,000 I never would have asked the price of the 3.6.

Bill

OP
s class

s class

typo - charging not charing. Sorry.

I'm looking forward to hearing this motor.
I hope to get the fuel tank out this weekend - there are a number of issues related to the tank.

116Benz

You're right Michel, they deleted the economy gauge when they went to the multi valve engines, my guess was that was the start of the cost cutting era power front windows and no fire extinguisher on a boggo 220E were other signs.

OP
s class

s class

Considerable progress this weekend :

I removed the collapsed fuel tank, the fuel filter, the rear half of the exhaust, the alternator, the buckled bonnet.

I also primed the cylinders with oil, turned the engine over by hand, and then cranked it with the starter. This car will soon be alive again.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Can't wait to have you in Australia Ryan,

I'm sure many guys here would be happy for you to do some of their work...:p

Styria

The Godfather
Hi S-Class, what a great project to work on and a real challenge to your capabilities well appreciated by myself and more than likely by some of the others as well.

It's always great to start with a clean sheet - so to speak and I know you will do the task full justice - plus make a couple of bucks in the process. Fantastic. Regards Styria

OP
s class

s class

Thanks for the kind words. Its a fun project, because the owner is demanding the very highest standard of work, and he is realistic about how much time and money that will take.

OP
s class

s class

Some progress in the last week :

The replacement tank is back from flushing at ultrasonics.

Replacement hoses for the fuel system have arrived.

The new bonnet was delivered to me today.

I have started stripping the front end to investigate wheel arch clearance issues - turns out the car is missing the AMG-specific spacers that are supposed to be installed to flare the fenders out to clear the 235/45/17 tyres. Seems they are now NLA, we will have to machine our own.