New 17” & 18” Barocks

More threads by Oversize

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Look better than the 18" monoblocks I have on the 55.

Having said, that I am not really a fan of low profile tires.
I guess that is due to the ride I became used to in my 6.9, with 15" wheels and 65% higher profile tires, and the rougher surfaces that they can negotiate.

On the other hand I do like the 'glued to the road' (smooth bitumen surface only) feeling of the 35% tires, but I am no so keen on the hard ride quality, and the need for 38 psi front and 40psi on the rears. Low profile tires are awful on dirt roads, with less grip and horrible ride.

I will drive my C280 (or even my Hyundai i20), on dirt roads instead.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Mark,
Would you believe we have the same issue with trucks.

Some young drivers or owners want low profile tyres as well.

For a truck, this carries some serious issues when it comes to payload condition, handling, and now causing dramas with truck electronic stability control.

But the wankers still want cool low profile tyres, chrome or polished alloy rims even though they void all warranty.

My Silver Shadow I was the best riding car I’ve owned with super high profile tyres set at 32psi for country roads.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Mark,
Would you believe we have the same issue with trucks.

Some young drivers or owners want low profile tyres as well.

For a truck, this carries some serious issues when it comes to payload condition, handling, and now causing dramas with truck electronic stability control.

But the wankers still want cool low profile tyres, chrome or polished alloy rims even though they void all warranty.

My Silver Shadow I was the best riding car I’ve owned with super high profile tyres set at 32psi for country roads.
Well, no low profiles on this Lady that lives at in the last 6.3 metres of my garage....

PV-today.jpg

abl567

Super Moderator
My lounge room isn't that tidy and clean

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Look better than the 18" monoblocks I have on the 55.

Having said, that I am not really a fan of low profile tires.
I guess that is due to the ride I became used to in my 6.9, with 15" wheels and 65% higher profile tires, and the rougher surfaces that they can negotiate.

On the other hand I do like the 'glued to the road' (smooth bitumen surface only) feeling of the 35% tires, but I am no so keen on the hard ride quality, and the need for 38 psi front and 40psi on the rears. Low profile tires are awful on dirt roads, with less grip and horrible ride.

I will drive my C280 (or even my Hyundai i20), on dirt roads instead.

I bought a 560SEC some years ago with 17's and low profile tyres and it was just terrible. The car was transformed with proper wheels and tyres. Still handled but back to the ride you really expect from a mercedes.

Low profile tyres are also much more like to dent when you hit a pothole and they can actually make the handling worse if they are big heavy things as they add to unsprung weight.

sean sherry

Master
I always found that to go off Factory setups , is a mistake. Especially the Suspension, ruins the Ride comfort. A mercedes is a Mercedes for all that.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
The only reason why I have low profile tires and monoblocks on the 55
is because they are original equipment for the car.

I guess that Mercedes is supposed to know better than I,
and that the suspension settings are set up for them.

Styria

The Godfather
I bought a 560SEC some years ago with 17's and low profile tyres and it was just terrible. The car was transformed with proper wheels and tyres. Still handled but back to the ride you really expect from a mercedes.

Low profile tyres are also much more like to dent when you hit a pothole and they can actually make the handling worse if they are big heavy things as they add to unsprung weight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have referred to the ride quality, such as it is on my Gleaming Beauty, in my recent concours d'Elegance post. I have to admit that the 18" Speedy (Taiwanese made) rims are almost impossible to lift (probably my age), and I have aggressively threaded Nankangs that are now getting on in age (probably about ten years) but, inspite of all that, they really handle the car securely and safely - at least, in dry conditions. The ride, whilst a little wooden, is certainly quite comfortable even though the tyres are sized at 235.45.18.

I have had the opportunity to run the car on 215.65.14 Michelins fitted to the original Baroque wheels, and I was somewhat disappointed with the ride quality. It was certainly no better than the low profiles fitted to Gleaming Beauty at the moment. I have a spare set of chromed Baroque rims that I have set aside, and they are fitted with the correctly sized 215.70.14 Good Year tyres - please don't hold me to the brand as I will have to double check. I will fit those one day when I have nothing better to do. Regards Styria