Mpg

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Who can afford to put Petrol into anything else.............

Round trip to the Southern Highlands today, a mixture of Roads, with Air on all Day'
5 Litres per 100K = 56 MPG .......Mk 7 Turbo 1.4 Lt Golf.
Last week's run to Temora in SL 107 280.....21 MPH.

Both Cars set at 113 Ks ( Cruise Control ) on the Motorway.
And the Golf easily out performs the old Merc , which runs very well with K Jetronic

And the moral is ........... who needs a Diesel ?

abl567

Super Moderator
Based on those figures I'm pretty pleased with 18mpg from 6.3 litres with mechanical fuel injection in a blunt fronted sedan weighing in at approx 2000 kg with 4 on board and luggage for 10 days:cool:

A

Afro107

Based on those figures I'm pretty pleased with 18mpg from 6.3 litres with mechanical fuel injection in a blunt fronted sedan weighing in at approx 2000 kg with 4 on board and luggage for 10 days:cool:

The thing is that full total permissible load on this car have little effect on l/km consumption.

Try that in a 4 cyl turbo.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes ...... also bearing in mind that most of the energy used to propel a car goes into propelling itself.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Yes ...... also bearing in mind that most of the energy used to propel a car goes into propelling itself.

Hence the difference between city and highway driving...

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Do I believe the 56 MPG from my Mk 7 Turbo Golf ???

Not any more..... after researching the subject of inaccurate Speedometers and Odometers coupled with the Factory "adjustments " of the Fuel mileage read outs.
There are a lot of issues discussed on the Forums on the Net.

Call me niave , but I used to believe these read out !

My two Garmin Sat Navs show a big discrepancy to the odo readings on the Golf

Eg Garmin units both show 1 mile after only 6 or 700 metres on the trip.

Speed and odos are separately inaccurate from the same signal source !

Sat Nav distance estimation is as the Crow Flies , not the road distance.

I will test the odo on the SL next time I see the markers on the Motorway.

Meantime all bets are off !

Styria

The Godfather
Sean, I am somewhat confused, but your assertions or findings are quite remarkable. What does it all mean ? Are you saying that the Golf figures are inaccurate? Maybe you can clarify. Regards. Styria

A

Afro107

Not sure if fault is with satnav...

When looking up points, they are shown in as-crow-flies distance but when you calculate the route, this change to driving distance of the route.

The funny fact with GPS is that the faster you are, the accuracy improves.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes that may be the answer ...Accuracy improves with distance travelled.
I guess that the short measured distance I was using, 1 K, was not allowing the Sat Nav to settle in it's Software i.e., needing more input to accurately compute. The Trip readings on both the VW and the C Class tallied over 1 K.
So as you say, the estimated distance is Point to Point but when traveling the Route, the measurements are then Point to point say every 5 or 6 metres.

The speed display is accurate to 1KPH, ( from a Police Patrol Car and from Garmin. )
I guess that there must be an optimum distance before the recorded distance is accurate.
I know that the Service Intervals can be " manipulated " at Dealer level, so why not the consumption figures ?
The Jury is still out