Memnoch

More threads by motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
While I have not commenced yet on future plans that are being put in place for my car. Here is a video I made with my car with work done and parts bought so far. Music warning its Sympathy for the Devil (janes Addiction) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6TjcK0xwYw Turn it up or off up to viewer.

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Ok spoke with David from CNC Machining this morning . He is CAD scanning my provided 6.9 throttle body today and will get back to me on Monday with quote to produce copy with 92mm throttle in billet. What I am doing is avoiding all problems I had with LS throttle body. I am scanning my original throttle body and having larger copy made which is direct copy same bolt pattern linkage everything copied only larger . So I will be able to just bolt it on. Cost is cheaper if doing more than 1. I will also be fitting FrankenCIS to my car when 7.6 engine is built end of next month. So there will be lots to talk about and post in 4 or so weeks time . Like before pictures and cost and Dyno results will be posted . This engine will make at least 500Hp. :eek:

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Ok David just got back to me . To make 3 throttle bodies in billet with 92mm size is $967 each plus GST so total price is $1063.70 plus shipping. If anyone is interested. These are a direct scanned copy of original throttle body that will bolt up with original geometry . If no one wants one I will go ahead with just one on Monday.

sean sherry

Master
500 HP ! What's wrong with a Side Valve Morris Minor.... so very uncomplicated. And you won't fall into the Back Seat every time the throttle is pushed .

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Nothing at all wrong with a side valve Morris minor its the one I like. Have been looking for a Straight 8 Packard as my next toy after I finish this car to how I want it. Do I need that power no its because I keep getting told it cant be done is why I am doing it. Packard would be kept stock with only brakes and vintage air with 12 volt conversion as only mods. For modern driving.

sean sherry

Master
Yes , great minds think alike ... I too hate to be told I can't do it ,, usually by little Wifey ! Red rag to a Bull.... Packard, a great choice, hard to come by a straight eight though. Even harder with a V8. There are over 52 Packards in a collection in the North Island of New Zealand, between Auckland and the Bay of Islands. All complete and running. Can't remember the name of the Town. Saw them last year. Even R.R. saw the light when they used Packard's independent front Suspension under licence. They also used G M's Automatic Transmissions . They did not have a monopoly on Brains. But who does.

Styria

The Godfather
Geoff, most informative video, accompanied by a great sound. I really like that tune. There are a couple of things that puzzle me. First of all, the torque figures. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the torque is supposed to be in more than the 500 region - your is showing about 330. Any reason for what I think is a low figure, or am I missing something ? Wouldn't be the first time.

I am also looking at the indicated speed of about 255km/hour and the corresponding low revs at about 57 - that doesn't gel, because with standard gearing of about 40kms/hour per 1000 revs, your engine should be revving well and truly in excess of 6000. Maybe you can explain. Wheels look good, desirable but still a little understated, but there is nothing wrong with that. Thanks for sharing those photos. Regards Styria

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
That easy Styria tyres suffer some expansion at speed so faster you go less accurate speedo becomes. Picture was quick shoot while car was on dyno speedo hit 270 at 5900 revs were limiter cut in. HP was used for power measurement so imperial not metric. Torque is in foot pounds and that was at rear wheels . Factory Euro is 286Hp 405lbs torque at engine. As can be seen torque has increased in dyno runs along with Hp. Current power is 255.6 Hp at rear wheels torque is 348.81lbs of torque. Starting point was 230.1Hp at rear wheels 320lbs of torque & 288.9Hp corrected at flywheel that was when I bought the car no mods. Extractors and exhaust have made 25.5Hp difference proven by dyno. LS throttle body was another 23Hp further up scale but seeing as it didn't work properly will not submit that as a figure. I have ordered 3 off the billet CAD scanned throttle bodies as I have confirmation that one is sold meaning one more to go. I will be fitting FrankenCIS WUR as well as it will allow mixture tunning with big throttle and big engine that will be built. Dyno results will be provided as in the past. So throttle as said is direct enlargement of original Mercedes 6.9 throttle and will be direct bolt on with factory linkages.

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Oh and to give you clarification this is flywheel torque in lbs. While doing dyno run started around 800 lbs decreasing to 466lbs so a hell of a lot higher than standard 405lbs untitled9_zpsc70656f6.png

Oversize

Grand Master
My gosh that's a huge increase in torque! Are you sure that's at the flywheel? I thought it was much higher at the rear wheels due to the gearing??

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Its highest in 1st gear and decrease's from there. 466lbs was in top gear. As for figure that's what dyno said was at flywheel.

Oversize

Grand Master
Ok David just got back to me . To make 3 throttle bodies in billet with 92mm size is $967 each plus GST so total price is $1063.70 plus shipping. If anyone is interested. These are a direct scanned copy of original throttle body that will bolt up with original geometry . If no one wants one I will go ahead with just one on Monday.

Unfortunately my priority at the moment is to get one roadworthy, so I'm not spending large coin on performance mods.

However when the time comes I'll be speaking to these guys as a comparison:

http://www.morrisonoz.com/Components.html

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I will have spare as it is almost the same as buying one so let me know.

Oversize

Grand Master
As far as I know the Buick 455 had the highest torque in the Muscle Car Era and your 6.9 is right up there now...

FYI my 1957 Buick 364 Nailhead had as much torque as a standard 6.9! However the Buick was probably measured with all accessories removed and marketing were likely to have inflated the figures....

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Will post pictures when I get the billet throttle body. And fitted as well as dyno . So my guess is it will exceed 278Hp with LS throttle body as it was not getting full throttle. Plus I will be able to tune WUR at the same time. But figure will be a long way north as engine will be 50Cu bigger and 1.2 compression points higher. Oh and are sending my Torque converter away for mods when engine comes out. The freaks show will be very interesting . Hold onto your hats we are not in Kansas anymore. :eek:

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
Rubbing my hands together with glee!! :rolleyes::D:cool:

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
As I said before testing shows the block can take a bigger piston than one I am fitting and another .25inch of stroke crank . But seeing as I have 4.00 inch stroke crank and pistons already that's what will be used . 4.31 bore x 4.00 stroke is 7651cc or 467CI . I will update with picture off throttle body when I receive it same as FrankenCIS . And engine pictures along the way. they have my ported heads already at South Side Engines which will be fitted. I believe there is a fair chance my 6.9 is the quickest in Australia at the moment. This will ensure that is the case. Oh and Mark Twin Turbo 6.9 is a Ford not a 6.9 so does not count other than engine wow factor. :D:p:eek::cool:

Oversize

Grand Master
It'll be the fastest NA 6.9 in Aust if not the world! And since there's no legal FI versions here it'll make it the fastest full stop. Yes a TT M100 in a Ford doesn't count since its a completely different car....

What Pistons are you using??

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
They are CP custom made forged pistons same as the Rods . CP is Carrillo by the way. I have asked Southside to take pictures along the way which I will get off them at the end to post. So I am not under feet. As I have said before they build best race motors in Perth . So don't want to upset them .

Last edited: