M116 guide rail failure!

More threads by 260ebenz

Styria

The Godfather
Helmet, getting back to my query regarding after market parts. I wasn't referring to the 6.9s (6.3s for that matter), as I am aware that there are virtually no after market parts available. No, my question related to the M116 engine as in Matt's car. Regards Styria

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Tim, an email to John Green at MB Spares where you bought the car or a look at any service history you have to reveal when the chain and guides was last checked/replaced may put your mind at ease. The V8's are known to be a problem, I'm not sure if the lesser 6cyl engines are as problematic.

Thank you Ant.

Check the original service booklet in the glove box very detailed service history the 300SE.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Hello Matt what is the latest in regards to The Gov's guide rail failure?

Styria

The Godfather
Just to correct the title of the thread. Matt is talking about his W126 420SEL, and not the W116, as indicated in the thread. Mind you though, the principles are the same from a failure point of view. Incidentally, where does time go - it is about two months since all this started. Regards Styria

abl567

Super Moderator
M116 Styria, engine designation not chassis...:p

Styria

The Godfather
....you're dead right, Anthony, slip of the eye failure or complete brain fade ! Humble regards, Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Just to correct the title of the thread. Matt is talking about his W126 420SEL, and not the W116, as indicated in the thread. Mind you though, the principles are the same from a failure point of view. Incidentally, where does time go - it is about two months since all this started. Regards Styria

Matt has had some personal issues.
He'll come back online in due course.

Styria

The Godfather
.......seems to be a fair bit on Facebook so things, hopefully, can't be too serious. Regards. Styria

Last edited:

mathew

Well progress has been slow because it has been one busy year indeed and most of my effort has gone into getting the W114 230 tip top and on to historic rego, but now that's done the old 420SEL has received quite some attention. The good news is it's very close to completion, in fact so close I have but one part left and if anyone could tell me what it is or where it goes, that would be awesome. It's a spacer of some sort but I'll be damned if I know where it goes. Given the engine bay and fire wall have both been overhauled I swear I must have near 1000 parts out from under that hood, so I'm pretty pleased that this spacer is the only thing left, but where does it live?

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
G'day Mat good to hear from you and thanks for the update in regards to 'The Gov'.

Look forward to seeing and hearing your mighty W126 back where he belongs out on the open road!

Cheers mate.

Andrew280SEL

My dad had this happen on his W116 450SE many years ago (and I mean many years, I was about 6 or 7 years old!). He certainly wasn't flush with cash at the time but I think he was fortunate he had a good mate who knew his stuff and was able to get the old girl fixed up and going again for a fraction of usual cost for this sort of thing, though of course it still couldn't have been cheap.

The car did go swell for a good decade after that event though. In fact, only horrendous rust riddled throughout it's body due to a former life on King Island and cracked injectors meant it was sidelined and eventually became a spare parts car.

Anyway I hope your car is coming along okay Mathew.:)