I haven't done nothing - honest

More threads by WGB

WGB

It was nice of Styria to send me a hello - how are things going message but I have been very busy with work, Lodge and Family.

I stopped driving my 6.9 after a scare with malfunctioning brakes and it has spent the past two months on my hoist waiting for a spare day or two.

I am pleased to say that I found those over the past weekend and have re-commisioned the old girl with a few improvements.

1) Re-built brakes.

MasterCylinderbefore.jpg
Before
Mastercylinderafter.jpg
After

new flexible hoses, new left front caliper (mine was missing the pad wear sensor titty), fitted a second hand LH pad wear harness, rebuilt front right and rear calipers, new steel brakeline (where I nurgled a fitting), new master cylinder and reservoir and nice new M-B dot4 brake fluid.

2) Removed the towbar

3) Fitted a new rear diff rubber mount

4) I was unable to procure a new 6.9 speedo cable (No longer available) to cure a slight flutter from the speedo needle but purchased a 450 one (50mm shorter) and it fitted perfectly and still had to be pushed back about 50mm.

It is now driving even better than before with a rock steady speedo needle.

I have also purchased a Genuine AMG bodykit with flexible plastic front spoiler and that will be fitted over xmas to finish off the externals.

So there it is

Bill

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
What a difference that makes
It looks very impressive.

Well done Brother Bill!

PS: I can't wait to see the body kit on:p

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, that's just about a 'handful' of work you carried out - you make mention of a nasty brake experience and I am wondering just what the problem was that obviously scared you. I am curious about the flexible AMG front spoiler- are you able to tell us us if it differs in any way to the reproduction units and how it compared pricewise. Regards Styria

OP
WGB

WGB

Hi Styria,

I was on the top story of the Myer's carpark in Perth and on descending the first ramp I casually told my wife that we had no brakes. As the engine was cool and the idle a little faster than when warm 6.9 litres was energetically descending. When the pedal hit the floor the rear brakes worked although they are not all that effective by themselves.

I then got aout 1/2 way home in the same fashion when suddenly the brakes magically came back to normal function. I assume it was a sticking master cylinder but that was the end of the car for me - until the brakes were rebuilt.

They now are.

The AMG bits I purchased off ebay - turned out to be from RonB of M-100.cc fame

AMGSpoilers1.jpg

Here are the bits laid out on the garage floor.

AMGSpoilers2.jpg

Here is a bit more detail of the spoiler - also included was a pair of inserts that are slightly different in shape to the normal 116 ones. The AMG ones and the 116 ones are placed alongside each other for contrast.

AMG1.jpg

Hopefully this xmas my car will look a silver version of this.

Bill

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Even though the bootlid spoiler is relatively small, it does make the car look pretty mean. The darker colour definitely helps, especially if the car is in silver. A la 500 SLC.

Styria

The Godfather
That would have been scary. It reminds me of a Rover 105 that I owned back in the sixties, seventies ? Well, I was just driving along slowly in traffic, slightly uphill, in the Sydney CBD. I pressed the clutch pedal to start pulling up and the pedal went right to the floor - nothing, absolutely nothing. A couple of quick pumps in desperation, and luckily they started working.

It was a strange phenomenen - mind you, reading a Road Test report in the English "Motor Sport" revealed exactly the same problem when they took a 105 or 105S to Italy. To this day, I still haven't a clue what caused it. I am glad everything went well for you. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Bill glad to hear you are ok if and when i get home for any extended period of time i will contact you about collecting Goldie2 if you want her:)