Farewell ML500 - Welcome W212 E500

More threads by WGB

WGB

My ML500 came to the end of it's finance and through it's four year life with me it has only developed one fault which was malfunctioning of the rear powered hatch - due to my occupation I open and close the rear hatch 10 or more times a day.

While it was in getting it's 3rd attempt at repair (successful finally) at Diesel Motors on Wednesday I wandered around to the showroom and took a look at what I expected to be a futile exercise in finding anything interesting, any where near my budget.

Well buggar me - I am now the very proud owner of a 12 month old W212 E500 - 11,000 km. The only options missing from it is "Night Vision" and the Panoramic roof - but I prefer the sunroof anyway.

DSC_0503.jpg

It is even in the same colour combination as my two previous M-B's

DSC_0504.jpg

The shiny plastic in the front of the front of the grill covers the radar guided Distronic cruise control.

DSC_0507.jpg

I was disappointed to see that the more expensive E class Coupe and Convertible are really only C classes made to look like the proper thing - if you want a real E class you can only get a four door or a wagon.

DSC_0520.jpg

And of course it has TV, Satnav, Linguatronic (that really does work very well even if Jeremy Clarkson couldn't succed at this), parking assistance, blind spot radar, lane control (vibrates the steering wheel if you stray across a white line), fatigue monitor, full ipod connection, heated and cooled seats.

DSC_0514.jpg

Oh yes - self opening and closing boot, rear electric and side manual sunscreens (appreciated by my Grandson today)

DSC_0512.jpg

DSC_0526.jpg

The 5.5 litre V8 has a dipstick - this may be ominous as my previous 211 E320 and 164 ML500 didn't sport such things.

THe suspension is airmatic with three ride heights and two damper settings. The wheels are 18 inch with 245 on the front and 265 on the rear.

Fortunately it came with a full three year warranty so I don't have to worry about repair costs for a while.

DSC_0516.jpg

And it drives as good as it looks with that waftability that a good 6.9 has as well as handling and performance to die for.

Allow a proud new owner (?cashed up Bogan) to show off his next major financial committment.

Merry Christmas.

Bill

chrisp

Wow, that's lovely Bill! I might accidentally have my car off the road next time there's a get-together and try to blag a lift again. ;)

Styria

The Godfather
Well WGB, what can I say ? (BTW, would anyone else like to add to this thread ? - ( We are short of posts :D ) That's a fine looking car. I could possibly become unfaithful to Gleaming Beauty in exchange for this E-Class. There are certainly a number of people more than keen on the E500 - with your car, maybe (just maybe) a more striking interior colour may well not have gone astray. Anyway congrats, I hope that you will keep us updating on your driving experiences, and tell us about your likes and dislikes (if any of the last named). Regards Styria

OP
WGB

WGB

The interior colour was not my choice - the car was on the floor - but as it is the same combination as my previous two cars I probably would not have picked much deifferently.

The black works well in the real world of dust and dirt and grandchildren and dogs.

It drives absolutely beautifully and I am taking some getting used to the keyless-go and the automatic active lighting.

Sometimes simplicity is better.

I am totally flabbergasted how much quieter, better riding and generally smoother it is over my previous W211 E320.

Cheers for Xmas Styria - I am flying thefamily up to Singapore to give my wife a rest from the preparation for Xmas.

Bill