facing reality

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Now on Warferin for life to keep blood clots at bay, I have decided to let my 280 Sl 107 go. I need to get a Safer Modern Car with multiple Air Bags and 5 star rating. any sort of accident can cause internal bleeding and is life threating. We also have a current model C Class which ticks all the boxes'
The new Golf 1.4 Turbo looks ok as a runabout. But how to dispose of the SL ?
As usual I have spent a lot of money to bring a car up to scratch only to sell it.
Any suggestions as to Price and advertising welcomed.
The car is fully specked, low mileage ,Hong Kong Import, and is a '81 update model .
Thanks Sean

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I am indeed very, very sorry to hear this Sean.
Prices vary but often the people asking them haven't got a clue. You could try Shannons' Auction in 2014 and set a reserve for what you believe it to be worth.
That would be the least trouble to you and the Shannons' auctions get good advertising.
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
Hello Sean,

Good luck with the sale of the 280SL it is a great car and the car is sure to find a good home again.

All the best Sean and to you and your Family have a Merry Christmas.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Well I've bitten the Bullet and ordered a new VW Golf, A very nice car to drive which has more Spec than our C Class GLI. At $23k on the road I prefer it to an A Class. 1.4 Turbo with a 6 speed manual, metallic Silver. Not sold on their twin clutch Autos.
The sale of the SL should cover the cost. VW have redesigned the whole car and dropped the Supercharger / Turbo combination without any loss of output.
So all their problems should be behind them, including burning engine oil.
It's a 2014 Model , November Build, and registered mid next month.
Now I'll feel much safer with curtain air bags and a drivers knee bag.
Sean

Helmet

Connoisseur
Well I've bitten the Bullet and ordered a new VW Golf, A very nice car to drive which has more Spec than our C Class GLI. At $23k on the road I prefer it to an A Class. 1.4 Turbo with a 6 speed manual, metallic Silver. Not sold on their twin clutch Autos.
The sale of the SL should cover the cost. VW have redesigned the whole car and dropped the Supercharger / Turbo combination without any loss of output.
So all their problems should be behind them, including burning engine oil.
It's a 2014 Model , November Build, and registered mid next month.
Now I'll feel much safer with curtain air bags and a drivers knee bag.
Sean

Well done Sean , I'm sure the golf will serve you well, especially the manual transmission.
Curios if you took the SL for trade and what did they offer you , pm me if you like

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Sorry to hear about your health concerns Sean.

You should have no problems selling the SL.

I would go with either the Professor's recommendation (Shannons' auction) or maybe Helmet could find a 'quick' buyer through his vast network of contacts.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Thanks Michel, I not keen on Shannon's but Helmet may be interested in a consignment car. I don't like bothering him unless he volunteers. Selling cars can be a pain in the ****. I have short fuse with time wasters.
Little Wifey says I have an Irish temperament, haven't noticed it myself !
Sean

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Sean, I am not familiar with the precise consequences your illness may trigger, but I am hoping that you receive the appropriate treatment and medicine that would help with your situation. Good health is about the most important asset in your life.

Regarding car and selling/buying - all the best with your endeavours. "Fire Sales" are never an ideal situation. Shannons will cost you money, but may be an option. Probably best to at least talk to them to get their assessment. Trading ? I'd be curious how you would get on. On consignment - always a tricky situation. Purchase of Golf - hmm......I worry about the Volkswagen product, rightly or wrongly. I suppose millions can't be wrong, can they, although it's not the car I would choose. Whatever you decide upon, best wishes and good luck.

N.B. BTW, I only ever thought that the Polo was the only model with the Supercharger/Turbocharger combination. Regards Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Well Styria, my clotting is under control. On the Warferin medication for life. An added benefit is that it also gives 97% protection from Strokes and with a sound heart I should be around for a long time yet to annoy everybody !

I'm in no hurry to sell the SL the right buyer will turn up. I have room to store it in the workshop behind my double Garage.

The current 2013/14 Golf has been completely redesigned, it's a totally different car. Longer wheel base, Single turbo instead of the super charger plus turbo set up. Torque from 1500 Revs from 1.4 L. Six speed manual with impeccable road manners. Air bags every where and 5 star Euro crash rating. It rides better than our current C Class even though it's much lighter. I bought the Base Model with 15 inch steel wheels, rather than the low profile tires on the next configuration with the same engine output and torque. $23k on the road for 2014 Model.

regards Sean

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
To further clarify Styria...... The Warferin keeps blood thin and any injury can cause excessive bleeding. In particular internal bleeding. A bang on the Head from a side impact accident can be very serious. hence the precaution of side air bag protection. I'll just use the C Class for Mercedes gatherings.
Regards Sean

abl567

Super Moderator
Sean you are welcome at any event we hold regardless of your choice of carriage:)

Styria

The Godfather
Well, I may as we'll chime in -TK is not only about cars, or gorgeous birthday girls, but also friendship and camaraderie. So champie, you fit the bill nicely. Regards. Styria