More threads by motec 6.9

Oversize

Grand Master
Some of the interior colours in that era were blah! :eek:

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes but for every bad combination they got it right on others. I remember seeing a W116 280SE that was Yellow with Blue interior and compliance plate showed that is the way it was built. :)

Styria

The Godfather
E500s - a very popular and much sought after model - would anyone know how wise it would be to purchase one of that era or thereabouts, and what should one be looking for ? Interested in opinions. Regards Styria

Last edited:

WGB

1) Engines and transmissions should be bulletproof if serviced correctly.

2) Earlier models 2002 to about 2005 used memory system that could be lost if the main battery and small backup battery were flat together

3) Post 2006 models used more stable memory that sustained toital power failure.

4) Cost of repairs to Airmatic DC might cause a nose bleed if necessary.

Bill

Helmet

Connoisseur
1) Engines and transmissions should be bulletproof if serviced correctly.

2) Earlier models 2002 to about 2005 used memory system that could be lost if the main battery and small backup battery were flat together

3) Post 2006 models used more stable memory that sustained toital power failure.

4) Cost of repairs to Airmatic DC might cause a nose bleed if necessary.

Bill

Plus we are getting many SBC units saying "change me " . SBC was discontinued on the e class in 2007 .

Styria

The Godfather
Okay, you're talking to the unknowing. SBC - what does it stand for ? Also, loss of memory - what are its implications ? Had a bit of a look regarding Airmatic, and a video on You Tube illustrated connection failure of a hose fitted to the air pump. Apparently that hose was the subject of a modification in design which eliminated the offending connection. Regards Styria

WGB

1) SBC is the brake by wire system and the unit/pump has a use by date - I assume it is an expensive replacement process. I remember mine was replaced under warranty as some part of a recall but I never had any problems myself. One of the more common issues is that if someone opens a door while you are doing a brake pad change it will activate the SBC pump and apart from pushing the pistons out of the calipers it might also remove a finger or two.

2) Earlier cars had "Volatile" memory which means that if the power is lost to the elecronics the operating system can be lost and would need to be restored from an external computer. Later cars had more modern memory that could resist an outage. I only know this because when my 2003 w211 E320 was having it's Comand fitted (The system was fitted 6 months after my car was delivered as the Oz system wasn't ready until late 2003) they lost the software and the only way they could restore it was to park a new W211 alongside and copy the software. The positive side was I got the latest of everything.

3) The early comand systems overheated and would reset themselves at very strange times. This was fixed by fitting a cooling fan which should have been retrofitted under warranty - as mine was after several arguements (discussions).

4) The petrol V6 and V8 transmitted noise up the gearbox mount and when cold a noise like a 20 year old Falcon with sticking tappets was the morning welcome noise - disappeared when heated up and only heard in the cabin, not outside or when the bonnet was lifted . No assistance from agent until I showed them a printout from Mercedessource.com showing that all the US E500's were being recalled for engine mouint changes. Instant response - "bring it in tomorrow". Subsequent engine mount change was night and day with a beautiful quiet cold start. When I asked I was told the mounts were changed for the diesel engine mounts.

Lovely car but buy a later model and have a computer handy.

Bill

Last edited:

Helmet

Connoisseur
Okay, you're talking to the unknowing. SBC - what does it stand for ? Also, loss of memory - what are its implications ? Had a bit of a look regarding Airmatic, and a video on You Tube illustrated connection failure of a hose fitted to the air pump. Apparently that hose was the subject of a modification in design which eliminated the offending connection. Regards Styria

He is a video that explains the system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtWU17NLgfA