Always a moving Target

More threads by sean sherry

Patrick_R

Grand Master
The three hand made prototypes were distinguished by the “GMH” on the bonnet
Where our first test production models (see the number 1 pic) produced at Fisherman’s bend had “HOLDEN” up front.
Of interest, the first test production models were then shipped all around the country for dealership tech training and never sold.

Supposedly the power house museum has one of these first “fully imported” Holdens in their collection.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
And national museum of Australia has one as well.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
At least I was right about the Commodore Opels !! Great photos.
I had a very early Holden in the late fifties, fairly trouble free, I only remember replacing the Fibre timing Gear. Went much better after that.
Camry Hybrids Batteries for better performance? The Factory Battery is limited in its capacity for spirited driving. I'll search the internet.
I recall the 6 volt Batteries in early Fords 10s we enhanced by adding an extra 2 volt cell to give 8 volts. No more sluggish starting !

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Legend has it, that the 3 imported cars, had the “GMH” removed from the bonnets and replaced with the production model “HOLDEN”.
So they say, the GMH letters went in the bin after the guy swapped them over.

What amazes me, is if I was doing that resto, I would replace the HOLDEN back to GMH on the bonnet, as that is the way they exited the factory.

So that’s pretty weird.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes or at least remake GMH badges

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Worth the trip to National Museum. Had a Rome display on there recently.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
My Wife will be sorry she missed the Rome exhibition , she is fluent in Italian and we have been there a couple of times. Her Grandfather Louie Amadayo jumped ship in Brisbane in 1900. He was a Cabin Boy on a Windjammer !
:D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Enjoy your visit.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I'm currently in Cincinatti Ohio and have a Chevy Malibu as my rental car. its based on the same platform as the Holden commodore. Its ok, but a bit yawn.
Rides better than mid/full size American cars of previous generations though. Space is good but visibility is poor. I've rented some real shockers over the years - but this car is better than most rentals.

However, for a car the size of a W126 the 1.5 liter turbo four just doesn't cut it. No torque to speak of, and the engine is coarse when pushed, which you have to. Might be an ok car with a v6. Since the Holden has a v6 as an option, I could see it being much better. I am not pushing the car too hard yet the gas mileage is crap because the engine is too small for the car.

based on Sean's other thread I did pick up a vacuum gauge at harbor freight today, to adjust the timing on my SLC.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Here is a photo of the car:

The best part about it was the colour, which I liked

47335476672_a412ab79a9_z.jpg

my full review here:
http://www.classicjalopy.com/2019/03/2018-chevy-malibu-review/

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Could not agree more about Rental Cars in America Bryce. Like you do now I have rented many over the years ( Pre 2000 ) The very worst one, a Camaro, I gave back after one Day ,it was down right dangerous to drive.
And I recall Clarkson saying in Top Gear, all American Cars are rubbish.
But then again I remember a Quote ..." French made Cars to suit their Roads"
"America made Roads to suit their Cars"

Patrick_R

Grand Master
My last hire car was a fairly new imported Camry in Rockhampton. It had 8k on the clock.

I’ve never been a Camry fan at all, but boy O boy, this car was unreal.
Super quiet, and not a single rattle or squeak and I can’t believe how it rode over bumps and potholes.
I was almost shaking my head in disbelief.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
My last hire car was a fairly new imported Camry in Rockhampton. It had 8k on the clock.

I’ve never been a Camry fan at all, but boy O boy, this car was unreal.
Super quiet, and not a single rattle or squeak and I can’t believe how it rode over bumps and potholes.
I was almost shaking my head in disbelief.

It is one of the reasons why Toyota was (and still is) the Number One seller for years. :rolleyes:

Patrick_R

Grand Master
That’s an interesting comment Michel.
Made me think (unusual for me :eek:)

Yes number one, would the typical Camry buyer be looking at, and listening to the car as you and I would?

It would be interesting to see why Camry buyers buy Camry’s