Always a moving Target

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
The World moves on... I read that the currant Car sold with a Holden Badge the ZB has the lowest resale of any Car sold in this Country. The die hards will have to get used to FWD. And that, while it is currently a rebadged Opel , in the near future it will be a rebadged PSA design. The other G.M offering made in Poland? :confused:what then for it ?

c107

and 111/116/124/126
The World moves on... I read that the currant Car sold with a Holden Badge the ZB has the lowest resale of any Car sold in this Country. The die hards will have to get used to FWD. And that, while it is currently a rebadged Opel , in the near future it will be a rebadged PSA design. The other G.M offering made in Poland? :confused:what then for it ?

Must be shocking depreciation if it is worse than chinese brands like great wall, and even the high end euro luxury barges like the BMW 7 series and so on.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Currently a few dealer demonstrator's in base LT guise listed for under $24000 . Interestingly the base 2 litre petrol turbo does a 14.7 0-400 in wheels road test in Calais spec so LT is most likely 1or 2 tenths quicker .

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I drove a brand new Opel Insignia (Commodore here) between Paris and Amsterdam last November.
It was a really nice car to drive, so many safety features, could even drive it without holding the wheel.
It’s cruise control actually read the speed signs, so when a small town local limit dropped to 40kmh for road works, it even dropped and held that speed, autonomous braking was awesome.
But we get the dumbed down version, and they called it a Commodore.

Should have left the original name, and let the Commodore badge RIP.

Maybe, people wouldn’t be so disappointed.
The car is a good bit of gear.

Well until the Opel engine warning lights appear in a few years :eek:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
5 year warranty so at least 5 years out of the car. And yes badge should have been put to rest.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
The dealer would have at least a $5000 markup on the Commodore bring the true price down to $19000 in just one year and with only a nominal Mileage. With a few bells and whistles fitted it gets close to a 50% depreciation in just one year !
:eek:After 5 years and out of Warranty ???? By then a orphan as Commodores will be a PSA. Opel/ G.M. is gone as of last year.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
As long as you are willing to accept that its worth nothing after 5 years or almost nothing then it might be an acceptable car. It's not the first orphan Holden have sold RB Gemini Piazza and a few others that only lasted for 1 model. And ZB will be the same as once contracts up on this model GM will not continue buying a car from what is now a competitor.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Motec, a very long long list of those one off failures mate.
Holden Epica comes to mind, and of late the Holden Cascada.
Which is a shame as I always saw hot chicks driving them :cool:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes it would appear the only 2 vehicles they have that are selling is Colorado and new Acadia which is a GMC . Which I had a lift in 1 the other week was better than I was expecting. Been told demand on Acadia is better than expected so orders are more than Holden ordered from US .

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Yes, that’s not a bad looking jigger, and it’s big!

The Equinox saggy rump looks like it was designed by Salvador Dali.
It won’t last long either.

Now here is another 1 hit wonder.
Holden Calibra.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Sister had Piazza Turbo

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I don’t think any of them were particularly bad cars, just that no one wanted/bought them much.
Piazza was a pretty quick little car.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes it is like values... the value of anything is what someone will pay for it.
What we may value it at is of no consequence.
I have a very well restored 1974 Spanish Montesa Trail/ trails 247 cc Bike for sale at much less than restoration cost ... Nobody wants it ..therefor the value is zero. Or else:eek: just something nice to look at in my Shed.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
That’s not goos Sean.
Something nice to look at in the shed is great, but selling it to buy another new toy would be better.
I would have thought something like that would have sold pretty quick.

Motec,
Now that is interesting, imagine no Holden in Australia.
Just Chevs and Opels.
Same as every other country then I guess :(

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Will the Opel Name remain ? now that they and Vauxhall, are no longer G.M Cars
Or will they remain in name only as Holden is now ? Actually the full size Holden Car was always a discarded Chev( from 1939 ??) and then an Opel as a Commodore.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Latest is the possibility that GM will sell Holden to Inchcape . And the possibility Holden as a brand will cease to exist and Opel takes its place as GM is showing interest in ceasing all RHD production https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/gm-to-sell-holden-116884
Inchcape's track record, in Australia at least, (is interesting.)
(I have self- censored my original content to avoid defamation. Go figure what I might have said.)
If all Inchape does is purchase the name of Holden they will end up damaging both the name and the brand and sales will be a disaster.
I foretell much misery in this move.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Inchcape's track record, in Australia at least, (is interesting.)
(I have self- censored my original content to avoid defamation. Go figure what I might have said.)
If all Inchape does is purchase the name of Holden they will end up damaging both the name and the brand and sales will be a disaster.
I foretell much misery in this move.
Regards,
Brian

I've never dealt with them but one of the longest threads for a while on Aussiefrogs focused on their take over of the Citroen franchises and people rather upset that long standing dealerships with a loyal following such as continental cars losing their dealer status.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
With regards Holden being a discarded Chevrolet. The original 48/215 was based on a discarded pre WW2 Opel that was shipped to the US before hostilities started. And original 3 prototypes were made by Buick in Michigan with Holden engineers sent over in 1946 and final 3 prototypes were made in Melbourne. Here is the original in 1946 with Michigan plates.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1537768529861.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537768529861.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 3
  • FB_IMG_1537768523739.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537768523739.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 3
  • FB_IMG_1537768516369.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537768516369.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3
  • FB_IMG_1537687014031.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537687014031.jpg