AAB-007 lives on!

More threads by Tony66_au

AAB

Tony,

The re spray was as near as possible to the original. The origin had badly discoloured ( as many European cars of the era did )

Before painting, I bought a new set of rubbers for everything including windows, & the deal was...everything has to be stripped out windows etc etc
& she had to look as if it just came out of the factory. No masking tape !!

She looked magnificent, & the painter wanted to keep her !! ( in your boot mate )

She still looks good, except for some scratch marks.

I had a minor run in with a building contractor who was working over the road, but parking on our nature strip. I suggested that he park on their nature strip & not ours, & somehow or other some scratch marks appeared on the front mudguard. A wood saw can do a bit of damage.

Regards,

Alex

OP
Tony66_au

Tony66_au

That explains a bit. Thanks Alex!

The paint scratches I had an old mate have a look at and he has restored Euro cars in a former life.

He was buggered as to what had caused them but assured me we could fix it with a minimum of fuss and a pint of paint colour matched by taking the fuel filler lid in to the paint shop so thats slated to be done before winter is over.

Ive got to say that the builder is a gutless fool, Attacking a car over a disagreement.

I'll come visit when she is done if you like Alex.

Styria

The Godfather
Looks like Lilli has found a good home - that's the Silver Green car we are talking about ? So Tony, this makes it two 450s, the 230T (?) and the Range Rover - anything else that you are hiding in one of the paddocks ? The Rangie - what, Rover V8 with Strombergs ? What's it like ? I see you also mention having gotten rid of most, if not all, Jaguar bits and pieces. I used to own a 1967 3.8S and, wait for it, a 1951 3.5 litre, guess what ? Mark V Drophead Coupe. I wish I 'd still have that.

Gave $450.00 for it, and sold it eighteen months later for $4K. Today it'd be worth, restored, about shall we say $110K. or is that too much ? Remember, they're flogging TR5s for close to fifty K.s - Regards Styria

OP
Tony66_au

Tony66_au

Yep Lili Von Shtupp is the silver green SEL.

I should grab my Sig from 116 and copy it here as it tells all......

Actually I'll start a thread.

AAB

Tony,

I am not sure if there is a wheel brace in with the spare,..best check in case you get a flat.

I bought a 4 ender wheel brace,( because I think that the originals are useless ) so I could use a rubber mallett as a persuader to loosen & re tighten the wheel studs.

Also, I found out the hard way, that the wheel studs of the mag wheels are longer than those for steel wheels, & if you put a steel rim on using the mag studs, great damage can be done, as I found out on the rear wheel of the old girl. The studs ripped into the park brake & I a hell of a job getting the rear drum off.

Lucky I had the wrecker for replacements !!, although the wrecker had the steel wheel, which was laying idly on the ground when I got a flat,.. a lot easier than cleaning out the boot to get at my spare !!

As they say,.. you learn something every day.

Regards,

Alex

OP
Tony66_au

Tony66_au

Cheers Alex, Currently she is sitting in my big shed with a cover to stop the bird poop and comes out once a week to do a 5 min drive around my 2 acre front lawn.

I'm slowly doing a detail and repair on the interior as time allows and isn't on Club registration as yet but I will add a Sidchrome wheel spanner to the kit before she hits the road as I've collected a few at swap meets etc over the years.

Regards,
Tony

OP
Tony66_au

Tony66_au

Im now under the pump as my Son has asked if he could be ferried to the German Language Competition (State finals) in Heidelberg at the German club at the end of this month.

He won Gold at the regional Finals at the Austrian Club in Morwell (His 2nd year running) and for this his wish was Green Benz to the state finals please dad.

Considering its a Hesse poem he is reading and the work he puts into his studies the race is on.

OP
Tony66_au

Tony66_au

Still not done, held up by the windscreen guy.

So the Boy and I are off the the Austrian Club tomorrow in Fine style anyway.

In a Daihatsu

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Still not done, held up by the windscreen guy.

So the Boy and I are off the the Austrian Club tomorrow in Fine style anyway.

In a Daihatsu

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

ScaredSmiley.gif

Oversize

Grand Master
Kill me now!!! :eek:

OP
Tony66_au

Tony66_au

Well he didn't win the State finals although he is Regional winner both this year and Last year.

This years winners worked very hard to take out the top award and the Judging was of a very high standard by the German Consul, Monash Universities Head of German Language studies and the Gent who is head of production for SBS's German language radio.

The criteria is broad but mainly centred on delivery of 2 Poems which are different for every age group and for year 8, 9 and 10 fairly stiff competition.

Now......... I had a good look around the carpark after sneaking my Little Daihatsu into the Spot of Shame in the corner and of the few hundred cars in the Carpark I was sadly seeing only a small handful of German cars in the form of One series Bimmers, a few Golf's and a 7 Series BMW.

NOT ONE MERCEDES!

so I drowned my sorrows with a Nice Pork Schnitzel and Goulash mit Knodel.

That is all.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Well he didn't win the State finals although he is Regional winner both this year and Last year.

This years winners worked very hard to take out the top award and the Judging was of a very high standard by the German Consul, Monash Universities Head of German Language studies and the Gent who is head of production for SBS's German language radio.

The criteria is broad but mainly centred on delivery of 2 Poems which are different for every age group and for year 8, 9 and 10 fairly stiff competition.

Now......... I had a good look around the carpark after sneaking my Little Daihatsu into the Spot of Shame in the corner and of the few hundred cars in the Carpark I was sadly seeing only a small handful of German cars in the form of One series Bimmers, a few Golf's and a 7 Series BMW.

NOT ONE MERCEDES!

so I drowned my sorrows with a Nice Pork Schnitzel and Goulash mit Knodel.

That is all.

CONGRATS !! A GOOD RESULT TO BE REGIONAL CHAMP
Regards,
Brian

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

Congratulations are definitely in order! :D

Well done "YoungTony66" :cool:

Styria

The Godfather
Tony, congrats. to the 'Bursch' - all he now needs is a yodelling lesson - or maybe he had those when he misbehaved and was naughty at a much earlier age ? BTW, the interest in the German language ? Any particular reason ? Regards Styria

OP
Tony66_au

Tony66_au

In Highschool you have to chose elective subjects Styria and he was a bit stuck for choices, he was also hassling me at the time to learn some conversational Dutch.

So I suggested he do German as an elective subject!

There are also many career applications for Modern German and as there are university courses at Monash Uni and as this is a 4 year elective I thought it would make life easier doing German year after year at highschool than grabbing a new elective every year.

I also have "issues" with the political slant on English history as taught in schools as I was taught Euro History and as I also do Geneology (My Family name dates back to 800 AD in its present form allowing for minor changes in language) I noted some rather large discrepancies between Euro and English history and there is no better way to illustrate this than by learning of another culture, its history and customs and then the obvious questions arise.

The final reason was 3 months in Germany, German School and the experience which I thought would be a great experience and an investment in his future.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Herzlichen Gluckwunsch alles Gute fur Ihren Sohn fur die Zukunft :) and best off luck:)