6.9 # 7114 - it lives !

More threads by CraigS

CraigS

Since almost every other car I own is in various stages of repairs, or waiting on parts, I decided to try to get my 6.9 running again. I have not started it for probably 2 years. I bought a new battery, some fresh gas, and a small amount of gas down the intake, and woof - away she went. It idles quite well, but isn't too happy when you try to rev it. Seems to be not getting enough gas. The fuel pump flow is fine, so I suspect either fuel distributor needs a clean and possibly the filter inside the fuel inlet, but I could also be completely wrong about this.

The rear suspension is also not coming up, so I am hoping it is only the linkage that has come off. Will check at the weekend.

For those that have never seen it, here are a couple of photos.

DSC01988-1.png

DSC01987-1.png

DSC01992-1.png

260ebenz

Master
Craig very nice 6.9 you have there!

I can see an Adenauer in the pic as well.

Velour seats as well.

All the best with car Craig.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
One car I have always admired. :D

Good luck with it Craig.

It deserves to be on the road often.

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Yes, that is my 300b. Another one that is currently immobile, but new custom made pistons arrive on the 18th of this month and I can get it back on the road soon.

This 6.9 was a Stuttgart delivery, and hence has the Euro engine, optioned with velour, no sunroof, and the badge delete option.

Craig very nice 6.9 you have there!

I can see an Adenauer in the pic as well.

Velour seats as well.

All the best with car Craig.

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Don't know what happened to your post Styria - I can't see it below, but I received an email notification that you posted.

Yes, the car is in Sydney and has been for quite a long time, and yes, it is the one I pipped Michel at the post ! You are more than welcome to come over. I will be on holiday next week and around Sydney before going to Brisbane the following week to work on the 300b and the Tatraplan - who said holiday !

To be fair, the 6.9 was on eBay and ended on Christmas Eve 2006, so I think I was fortunate in that regard - both for the price I paid, and that Michel must have been busy !

If anyone happens to have a W116 fuel tank they don't want, I would be most appreciative. I am not completely certain mine is good, so would prefer to change it before I go trouble shooting the fuel supply problem.

Oversize

Grand Master
Oh what a lovely car Craig! What's the colour called and the code? Badge delete (factory) seems quite rare....

When you sort the rear suspension and rule out there's nothing nasty in the tank, you may find some injector cleaner and an Italian tune-up will do the trick!

Oversize

Grand Master
Oh and do you have any pix of the dash and the engine? Did she require much work after you bought it?

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Paint code is 581 - Inca Rot (Inca Red). As far as I know, this is the only one in this colour - or at least, I have never seen another 6.9 in this colour. It was on some W123's, but again, not common.

When I bought it in 2006, it had not been run for about 4 years. The previous owner was a Qantas engineer and he had back trouble and was on compo, so couldn't drive it. It had water in the petrol and that caused a number of problems. Once the pump, filters/accumulators had been changed a number of times, it seemed to come right, but then I put it into storage and it basically sat again for some time. The suspension had never been a problem, which is why I suspect that the linkage has come off.

I don't think it will take too much to get it running right again. I have another fuel distributor, so will change that, and I also have another WUR, but not sure about the condition of that, so may leave changing that at this stage.

Pictures of the dash and engine below.

DSC01993.png

DSC02017.png

http://s109.beta.photobucket.com/user/Aegeanfoods/media/My Cars/450 SEL 69 No 7114/DSC02016.jpg.html

OP
CraigS

CraigS

I fixed the suspension today. It was just the linkage that had come adrift, so I installed a new rod and it is back to normal - albeit that it will need a slight bit of tweaking to get the height exact.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
If the engine is having a bit of trouble running properly, I would guess that the whole fuel delivery system tank to injectors, could do with a clean out. Especially so, it the car has been standing idle for some years.

When you get a mixture of air, water and fuel standing for a long time, there a few species bacteria that can breed up and can cause suspended flocking in the fuel. These flocks can block filters and injectors.

The injectors should also be checked for delivery rate and spray pattern. If there has been any water about, rust in the injectors can be a problem. Fortunately, mechanical injectors are a hell of a lot cheaper to replace than electronic ones. The injector that is used in the 6.9 is common to lot of other European cars of this of this era. Volvo injectors of this period for example, are identical.

A huge amount of effort is expended on maintaining the quality control with aircraft fuel, be it avgas or avtur (JP4). Water condensation and flocking are the enemies.

The fuel filter farm at RAAF Richmond is very comprehensive.

Oversize

Grand Master
I'm glad you sorted out the suspension and I agree it might be a good idea to flush the tank and replaced the fuel filter. Add injector cleaner and see how she goes then.

And now it's time for an oil and coolant change.... Don't forget the brake fluid too.

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Sounds good ! I am off this week, so I might have to come for a drive. If you can PM me your number, I will give you a call.

Once I get it running smoothly, I will be changing all the fluid - which on a 6.9 is not cheap when you are changing the 12lt of oil !

6.9forever

Noble
Great car! All original, no molestation. Great stuff. No Taiwanese after-market bling in rims, wheel arches or interior changes. An absolute beauty! Enjoy it Craig.

Oversize

Grand Master
Great car! All original, no molestation. Great stuff. No Taiwanese after-market bling in rims, wheel arches or interior changes. An absolute beauty! Enjoy it Craig.

Hahahaha!!! ;):D