21st centuary

More threads by sean sherry

Styria

The Godfather
BenzBoy, I did have a good look and appraisal of the cars featured in that blog. Quite frankly, unless you sport a happy, albeit somewhat uneasy smile, it's all quite depressing. High cost of spare parts, lack of specific skills and knowledge, high cost of labour - they all play a very significant part in crucifying a lot of cars, even the ones that are relatively new - say no more than five to eight years old.

That's why one finds it almost adamant to purchase relatively new cars and keep hoping for the best.

Sean, VWs frighten me - perhaps unnecessarily so, but I look at the complexities of engine, gearbox and electrical complexities, and I turn my cheek the other way. Remember, the 1.4 litre turbo/supercharged engine - I believe that this engine is now out of production, so would one want to purchase a second hand example with an expired warranty ? How about twin clutch arrangements ? Again, a feature discontinued by VW? Food for thought. Regards Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I agree Styria about Twin clutch Gear boxes. I would not have one for free. Even the much lauded Porsche examples. They are neighter one thing or the other. Automated Manuals are nothing new. In the fifties there was Smith's Easy Drive.. it did not work either. V.W's 6 speed manual is a joy to use. Engine complexity, they are all complex today chasing emissions. All of them are a risk out of warranty and after 5 or 6 years suffer massive deprecation, and are not worth throwing good money after bad to repair.
Manufacturers rub their hands with glee , as they are in the business of selling Cars , not repairing them . I will sell my Golf privately when the MkV111 is released in 2018/9. It is Low mileage and without the stigma of the dreaded Twin Clutch Box. Out of warranty ..yes, but I intend to purchase an extended private warranty for the purchaser, as an enticement to make a Sale. :)