Cold Galvanization

More threads by s class

s class

About 17 or 18 months ago I posted pictures of the results a brake caliper overhaul for my W140. The calipers had been stripped clean, and then sprayed in a 'galvanizing' paint. This was recommended to me at the time by a local brake shop. I remained skeptical. I remember that at the time styria asked me what the product was, but I declined to recommend it because of my skepticism.

Anyhow, those calipers have been in use on my W140 since, during which time the car has done about 30 000km. I am happy to report that this galvanizing spray has held up perfectly. The caliers are easily cleaned with water and come up nearly as good as the day they were sprayed. There has been no chipping, flaking or lifting. The paint seems unaffected by the temperatures, and brake fluid.

So, I am now happy to recommend this spray. It is made by Orapi, who seem to have distributors world wide.
http://www.orapi.com/english/index.htm

The particular product I'm using is NZA-Brilliant (product # 706). This is intended as a touch-up for repairs to galvanised surfaces. This is what it looks like. It sprays on like a normal spray can paint, but it seems to be a fluidised zinc, so the contents of the can don't go as far as a normal paint can. It was not particularly expensive - about $12 per can.

ORAPINZAB706.jpg

They also make NZA-Mat (product # 650) which appears to be an even more heavy duty coating - but our local suppliers did not have it available. I think it would be my preference if I had the choice. The NZA-Mat also is specifically described as being a high-temperature coating.

Anyway, I used the NZA-Brilliant (as used on the W140 calipers) yesterday on calipers I am rebuilding for the 280SE (after they were sent to ultrasonics) :

280SE_brakes_calipers_11May08a.jpg

280SE_brakes_calipers_11May08b.jpg

Although the coating seems resistant to brake fluid, common sense suggests that one should avoid getting it on the internal parts of the caliper that will be exposed to brake fluid.

Another problem the 6.9-ers may be aware of, is the deterioration in appearance of the three fat hoses leading to the engine oil tank. The hoses originally have crimped collars in yellow zinc plating, and end fittings in silver zinc. The yellow zinc seems to hold up very well, but the silver zinc was all but gone from my hoses. I could not find a plating shop willing to replate the fittings whilst still attached to the rubber. I had the hoses cleaned at ultrasonics, and then trated the end fittings with this Orapi NZA-brilliant spray :

6point9_oilsystem_hoses_11May08a.jpg

6point9_oilsystem_hoses_11May08b.jpg

Not as ideal as actual zinc plating, but certainly better than noting or any conventional paint.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi S-Class, short of looking up the website that you so kindly gave us details of, I have not come across this particular product. It obviously works extremely well - certainly judging by your experience.

In my situation, I normally spray my calipers in 2-K silver with 2 - K clear as a final coat. That process obviously lasts quite well, but is of course time consuming and is not something that one would do each and every time. I also paint the discs (hub part !) usually in 2K black, and again, it lasts well.

Some years ago when I replaced the complete front suspension assembly, I painted all of the components in a grey blue 2K simply because I had 4 litres of the stuff left over and no other use for it. Again, it has lasted very well.

Generally, pressure pack products are just a reasonable alternative - just to make things look neat. Also, a little depends on how clean one keeps things - I am talking about brake dust and road grime. Thus, probably once every six weeks, I remove road wheels etc. and use a detergent (truck wash) just to keep on top of things. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I must confess not having heard of that (French) company.

However, they seem to have representation in Victoria (Australia)

ORAPI PACIFIC VICTORIA LUB Pty Ltd
Factory 24,
29-39 Kirkhan Road West
Keysborough,
Po Box 816
Victoria 3173
Australia
TEL : +613 9701 5373
FAX : +613 9701 5532

Thanks Ryan....

OP
s class

s class

Orapi caters mainly for the industrial market - they have a lot of really interesting products. So you won't find them at retail outlets. I had to purchase direct from the depot - but they were happy to sell small quantities.