Woodwork by Madera Concepts

More threads by Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
What brilliant stuff! There is an 80+ year old man here in Sydney who does similar work to an incredibly high standard. When he is late I am not sure who, if anyone, will be able to achieve the same impeccable finish.
Regards,
Brian

Helmet

Connoisseur
What brilliant stuff! There is an 80+ year old man here in Sydney who does similar work to an incredibly high standard. When he is late I am not sure who, if anyone, will be able to achieve the same impeccable finish.
Regards,
Brian

Not sure he is still working, we will have to send it os now. The work by the company in the link is amazing

Tony66_au

Man thats gorgeous!

I messed about with burl walnut veneers years ago on Pomgolian cars but their standard of work wasnt always top notch, the factory standard on Mercedes is so high it frightens me and its nice to know there is someone who does them.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Man thats gorgeous!

I messed about with burl walnut veneers years ago on Pomgolian cars but their standard of work wasnt always top notch, the factory standard on Mercedes is so high it frightens me and its nice to know there is someone who does them.

Tony, this applies particularly to the cars of the fifties, such as the Adenauer 300s, the Ponton type 220 Cabriolets and even the 300 Coupes with their magnificent timber instrument cluster and associated additional timber. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Oh WOW!!! This was another area where the W116 and particularly the 6.9 were lacking. I've always loved well finished timber, but I wasn't convinced it belonged inside a car; but I am warming to the idea!

It'd be nice to have more timber highlights throughout the interiors. Better still if someone had them on a changeover basis and had other trim items converted to timber veneer.

Another area that let the W116 down was the door trims/cards and the dash pad. I think they'd be far nicer in leather and if I had the $$, that's what I'd be aiming for...

260ebenz

Master
Now that is impressive!

What is the best way to protect the wood trim in my 300SE?

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Thank you styria for that link they are gorgeous there used to be an old Austrian in Queanbeyan who did french polishing and wood veneers but have not heard of him in years . Sad really that when these trades men retire no one fills the gap and they are becoming lost trades. Geoff

abl567

Super Moderator
Styria and I removed the centre console wood trim from his 420SEL as it was lifted at the back and the window switches had detached and dropped down, I think Styrias veneer is french walnut, guess what, it is wood...I've removed same from my 420SEL which is burr walnut, wood again. I cant imagine they would put an artificial veneer over a wood base.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Plastiwood is an interesting epoxy based imitation wood made primarily in India. It's used in the housing and construction industry and fabulous since it totally resists rot.
The wood in Tim's car is quite genuine wood - a fine layer of timber laminate bonded to a metal backing sheet and laquered.
Safety laws made thicker timer redundant - who wants a splinter of wood in the head from an early Benz?
Clean it with a slightly damp microfibre cloth Tim - or even a little car wax and polish off well.
It's OK Tim, relax, your timber is real.
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
Plastiwood is an interesting epoxy based imitation wood made primarily in India. It's used in the housing and construction industry and fabulous since it totally resists rot.
The wood in Tim's car is quite genuine wood - a fine layer of timber laminate bonded to a metal backing sheet and laquered.
Safety laws made thicker timer redundant - who wants a splinter of wood in the head from an early Benz?
Clean it with a slightly damp microfibre cloth Tim - or even a little car wax and polish off well.
It's OK Tim, relax, your timber is real.
Regards,
Brian

Almost had me with your joke Tony nice one mate keep trying!
:D

Thanks Brian.

In fact I have used car polish to clean the wood inserts in the 300SE and they look excellent.

I noticed before I purchased the 300SE the wood inserts needed a good polish.

Cheers.