What I've been busy with

More threads by s class

s class

Of late, I've become something of the 'go-to' guy for older benzes in our club. So I've been quiet on the forums. I thought it may interest people to hear what I've done recently.

Projects completed in the last few months :

a) W126 500SE (late spec car)

This is a nice clean car with no sundamage, used as a daily driver by the careful owner. He is quite particular in wanting the car just spot-on. He is also a believer in preventative maintenance. In this interest, I fitted a new timing chain, guides, sprockets and tensioner for him. I also fitted new valve stem seals, and did a compression test which confirmed excellent engine condition. I replaced one of the lower supporting joints in a steering knuckle, and rebuilt the steering box with a new sector shaft. There were various other niceties like a new steering damper, and new idler arm bush kit. I also attended to a hard-starting complaint, which I traced to a leaking fuel accumulator. I also replaced both front hubs and wheel bearings, after I found a collapsed bearing on one side caused by previous butchery with hammers that had deformed the hubs. The car now drives superbly, tight like a new car.

b) W116 280S (very early car, 1973)

A superb example, white with black leather in the basketweave pattern. I did various work on this car including rebushing the upper control arms, replaced all water hoses, repaired the fuel level sender, correctly refitted some door trims. I fell in love with this car.

c) W116 6.9 (early car, #2044)

A poor example that I brought back to life with a full front-end rebush, new supporting joints in steering knuckles, two new accumulators, rebuilt front level control valve, rebuilt pressure regulator, rebuilt brake master cylinder, rebuilt front calipers, new timing chain, rebuilt chain tensioner.

OP
s class

s class

Projects that are in progress but nearly finished :

a) W116 450SE

An interesting car, Aus spec import to S.A. 450's are super scarce in South Africa. This car is straight and rust free, but spent the last 7 years standing out in the open.

Recomissioning has involved new fuel pump and filter, all fuel lines, new injectors, rebuilt WUR, rebuilt fuel distributor, 4 new brake discs, 4 overhauled calipers, new brake lines, overhauled master cylinder. New engine timing chain/sprockets/guides/tensioner. Flushed cooling system, new fuel tank (old one rusted out). new front wheel bearings and hubs (again, they were ruined by previous butchery). Refurbished 14" bundts, new tyres. New ignition leads, plugs, cap and rotor.

OP
s class

s class

Current projects :

a) W126 500SE (early car)

An early spec UK import, nice car, but with 450 000km on the clock. It presents like a car with 150 000km. The owner wants some revitalisation, which is consisting of new timing chain/guides/sprockets/tensioner. I'm also fitting new valve stem seals and setting up the static clearances on the tappets.

b) W116 350SE (very late car)

A very late W116, registered in 1981. Beautiful car, with low miles. Spent most of its life in a collection, and has now been sold to a person intending to use it as a daily driver. Unfortunately it would seem the car never saw antifreeze, and the cooling system is rancid. Rodded radiator, new hoses, new header tank (old one split), new visco fan clutch. I've also stripped off the inlet manifold to attend to proper cleaning of the cooling system and to address some vacuum leaks. The fuel system too has suffered, so the WUR is being replaced, and the lines flushed out. It seems the fuel distributor may live to fight another day.

c) W123 300D (biodiesel - ugh)

I'm fixing the bodywork, car previously in a front end prang. I've pulled the inner fenders and welded in a new headlight bucket and radiator cradle. THe engine is out, and the engine bay stripped down for paint. "while we're in there" I'm doing a full front end rebuild/rebush. Yellow paint, black tex interior. Otherwise a pleastant car if you don't mind being overtaken by lorries and mopeds.

OP
s class

s class

Incidentals

W123 280TE

I got roped into helping this lazy TE. Seriously neglected car, the exhaust valve tappets had nearly zero clearance. I fixed that and reconnected the vacuum lines to the WUR, got the K-jet pressures somewhere close to where they should be. Found the engine has F-all compression, walked away from the problem. Some battles aren't worth fighting.

I'm trying to stay away from W123's. W116's and W126's yes please.

260ebenz

Master
Certainly sounds like you have your hands full!

All the best with it all.

Cheers.

Lukas

Wow - I can barely manage time for an oil change.

If you do ever move to Oz, I can keep you in work for a while:)