Triumph Dolomite

More threads by c107

Styria

The Godfather
Well, I did the driving for him. I very much remember driving a Dolomite Sprint some about 50 (?) years ago. It was a beautiful handling car around my favourite test track - namely the Comenarra Parkway, all the way from Ryde Road (the old Ringroad 3) at West Pymble up to Fox Valley Road at Wahroonga. I often used to think what a great racetrack it would have been for the old Formula 1, with long up and downhill sections, long sweeping curves, and one could really try out a car's capabilities in those days. The sprint handled that road beautifully, and it had a fabulous four speed manual gearbox with Overdrive on both 3rd and 4th gear. The engine itself was tractable and torquey, and I came away thoroughly impressed. It wasn't until some years later that the gremlins started to become noticed with unreliable, and short lasting mechanicals, just like the Triumph Stag that came out with its Leyland developed V8, a very brittle engine with a multitude of engine and Fuel Injection problems. However, as per video, it was a gorgeous looking car at the time. Regards Styria (I am referring to the Sprint).

N.B. Slight correction as far as the fuel induction is concerned - it was the 6 cylinder Triumph Sedan with Lucas Fuel Injection. The Stag had Carburettors.

Last edited:

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Very interesting indeed.
It’s a shame that most of these wonderful cars turned into rusty unreliable shit boxes.

I had the pleasure of working on a Triumph Toledo many years ago, however it too was a diabolical disaster and would not stay in tune, kept blowing head gaskets for no reason, and the rust was a sight to behold 😫
It was a shame, as when it was running right it was a great drivers car.
44022AD2-A367-4B81-8D94-BBB4E6BF2B90.jpeg

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
It's interesting that Saab could take the same engine and have it super reliable and long lived.
A lot of these British car manufacturers were known for never spending even small amounts of money to improve known issues with the product. I can only imagine Saab did some minor redesigns of the cooling system and probably better quality control on the production and all of a sudden had a very good engine that worked well.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Many English cars were just that bit underdeveloped and it shows up in Australia with over-heating problems. I know a number of earlier Jaguar and Triumph owners who have solved the issue with a bigger radiator and once done their cars are as reliable as any other. I believe the lack of development was a lack of money. One BMC dealer in the rural NSW routinely fitted larger radiators to new cars before they were delivered.
No such problem with the Rolls-Royce and Bentley products which all carried very large radiators and a high volume of coolant.
Regards,
Brian