tires

More threads by arcijack

arcijack

Connoisseur
hows everyone doing again? My 1979 6.9 is coming along good, , just a questions on tire and rim sizes, i found a nice set of 19" wheels with an off set ot et 35 at a great price. i'm not familiar with a 19 inch wheel but noticed that many of the newer mercedes have these, but will these wheels fit my car without trouble? i am 53 years old and dont want the car to look thuggish. but the wheels in question cost over 2000.00 us dollars, and i can buy them for 450.00 , still in box. they are german operas. any comments will be appreciated and i do value your opinions, thanks.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
My opinion only here, now.
14's 15's 16's, perhaps 17's, probably does not matter that much.

The other comments I made are more relevent to a 6.9.
I guess the valving of the hydraulic suspension and the compliance of the 14" tyres were matched by Mercedes.

Currently, I have 15's on my car, and I certainly notice no difference in the ride, comparative to a 14" wheeled 6.9.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi arcjack, I am running 18" alloy rims on Gleaming Beauty, and I am please to relate that the ride comfort has not been compromised when compared with the standard 14" Bundts, or even the 15"ers that some of us have fitted to their cars. At nineteen inches, you are asking a bit of the suspension to cope, but I guess at $450.00 you can take a chance. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Personally I wouldn't go larger than 18" as the tyres to suit would have such a low profile they'd be very succeptable to damage.

Max offset should be et30 to suit the geometry and you may find if the wheels are above 8" wide they may not fit at all! :eek:

Most modern wheels have offsets well above 30. This is why it's hard to find modern style MB wheels to suit the early cars. :(

OP
A

arcijack

Connoisseur
I'm stlll trying to find a set of wheels to fit my car. i would like to put larger tires on my 6.9, i've found several 16-18's but the off set is always large. what is the largest offset. i can have without compromise

Oversize

Grand Master
ET30 - ET11 were the factory and AMG options. Due to the front end arrangement it's wise not to deviate from that as you'll have scrubbing and handling issues.

8" wide wheel will fit. You might get away with 9-10" wide wheels on the rear, but I'd be test-fitting them before handing over any money. I've fitted 255s on the rear and 235s on the front. You may be able to fit wider tyres with the correct offset wheels, but beyond the above it'd be trial and error....