The two Cs

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Competition and collaboration...... between Manufacturers......
Ford O Matics were B. W. 8s...Early Ford Lincolns Automatics were G.M. Turbo Hydramatics....Chrysler made all the Master Cylinders and Ford made all the Cylinder Blocks. Holden Trimatics were Strasberg's Three Speeds designed by Chev. for under 2 litre high revving Opels .. Simca's... 3 series BMWs etc.
Never designed for low revving USA High Torque Engines. eg. Holdens V8s
The Clutch Plates were made from either Hard Fibre... Compressed :)Paper and also Brass. Some higher powered Ford V 8s used Brass Plates in their B.W. 8s.... (sorry Ford O Matics)
Hence the variety of Oils used with different coefficient of Friction characters.
Wrong Oil ..... Converter Clutch shudder etc.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Rolls Royce used GM 4-speed Hydramatic in early Shadows up to 1970 in the UK whilst using the venerable 3-speed TH 400 automatic elsewhere and in later models.
Spirits and Spurs used the newer electronically-controlled four-speed 4L80E automatic.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
You have got me there Michel.. my knowledge ground to a halt probably 30 years ago..... please ask me about Cast Iron 2 speed Power Flites and Cast Iron 3 speed Torque Flites from the Fifties ! :)

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Michel is spot on Sean,
My 72 Shadow has a TH400. Lovely box.

I think in the very early Spirits Michel, they still ran the 3 speed, but after those early examples you are spot on, 4 speed overdrive.
The Professor will be able to confirm transmissions and dates I’m sure :)

I looked at putting an electric overdrive unit into my Shadow to get those rpm down at 110kph.
Would have been great.

Small box, after the transmission.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
My 1990 Spur II had a lovely 4-speed automatic and was a dream on the motorway, especially when my son Albert drove and I was dozing off in the back electric retractable seat :p

Michel-Malik-RR-SSII-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Interesting that the Turbine 400 was very suitable for R R Heavy slow revving high Torque at lower RPM... just as designed for the American Cars. Not so happy in high RPM V 12 Jags . Shift quality easily improved by fitting a Modulator:) with a stronger Spring.