The new bumper bar

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
My CLK430 has suffered a series of mishaps with the front bumper bar.
It started with one of my sons parking too close to those bumps that stop you from parking too close to walls in car parks.
That cracked it and ripped it on the way out.

Jerry fixed it with fibreglass and repainted it.

Then I managed to do it myself at a client’s driveway that was simply too angular.

Again, poor Jerry, after mumbling and grumbling, repaired it again, but by then it had warped and was sitting much lower than the factory height.

However, I was driving it very carefully and it wasn’t until the fan belt snapped as I was going to meet clients and I left it with a mechanic at a service station where the belt was replaced and the car taken for a test drive and... you guessed it, the mechanic managed to crunch it as he was exiting the service station and cracked the repaired part yet again... :mad:
Luckily, it was still hanging by the staples and wires we tied it up with during the last repair.

I looked everywhere for a good used bumper to no avail.

You see this is an AMG bumper with the round fog lights versus the normal CLK bumper with the triangular ones. Those were available at many wreckers.
Anyway, I ordered them from M-B and was advised they were not available in Australia, nor in Singapore.
Germany had one part and the other was NLA!

I decided to call Tom at the Classic Centre in California.
What a legend! I had my part here in 3 days!

And so, Jerry painted the parts on the weekend and with the help of my next door neighbour at work, Ahmed, we fitted them today!

A0-EB7-C20-BFA5-459-E-998-B-49-DB4920-A9-B1.jpg
The crack with the wiring showing

E0530-B0-C-D373-4-E43-BC61-05895-A5415-DE.jpg

893-AD16-B-8844-4-CB9-A924-5294-FB7-AB130.jpg

25-DC35-D9-0-CA8-40-ED-816-A-4-BC3-E057-D362.jpg

8-B1-B324-E-5-AC5-497-D-AE40-7-D45-BCBA7-CFF.jpg
The final image

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Mercedes looking mighty fine Michel!

3 days for the Mercedes parts to arrive Tom Hanson he’s the man!