The 7th Wonder of.....my backyard.

More threads by Andrew280SEL

-bb-

Noble
Well done. Looks like a very nice car and it is very nice to see another Topklasse member with a Milan Brown 6.9 :cool:

Mine is number 4965 and the compliance date is 11/78, so yours being dated 1979 would be correct.

s class

Eesh thats a damn nice car. Very well done. My favourite colour combo. Pleeeease keep it out of the sun and protect that awesome dash and interior.

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Hi Ryan,

Don't worry, this thing will live in the shed covered up when not in use ;)

That's where my 280SEL WAS living, but uh, she got the boot for the new 6.9.... Thankfully there's another shed being built so the 280 won't be exposed excessively for long.

Now, as for the option codes, I'll have to give them a big look over and see if I find anything of interest. I know that it's a fully optioned car (everything works too, even the "cruise control"), by visual analysis, but who knows what I might find.

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Well yes, surprisingly ;)

I know they (the cruise control) tend to...well not work after all these years. Whether it stays at it's set speed consistently without randomly dropping out remains to be seen... my 280SEL cruise control for instance, works, but tends to suddenly "drop out" then start gaining speed again until it reaches the set speed.

SELfor50

F$K man, just saw this!!!

Great work! Looks like a very nice car indeed... 7 x 116's??? We might have to invade Tasmania soon lad's. Hahah...

Great work mate, you might have change your login to Andrew450SEL6.9 ;)

Look forward to seeing progress on the suspension and loving touches you give the car.

Cam. :)

Admin

Administrator
So Andrew, how's the 7th wonder coming along - I won't ask you, as I am sure you'd still be happy having purchased the car (especially in such nice condition), but have you yet sorted the suspension and is it running okay in other respects as well?

Believe me, the longer you have the car for, the better you will like it. You just have to watch expenses a bit - costs can get away quickly. I try and spread my expenses as much as I can - it does cost me money as well to maintain Gleaming Beauty (don't forget), but slogging away like I did, and with the considerable help of Mercules, on the headwork carried out recently, saved me quite a bit of bacon, believe me. A couple of years ago, I had some gearbox work carried out on a W109 300SE and for a day's work, it cost me $860.00. Anyway, I am digressing - hoping you're still happy with your purchase. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Andrew, sorry admin. got involved for no reason at all. Everything written is meant to be.:D Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Honestly Godfather, you have too many hats:D
Hi Andrew, sorry admin. got involved for no reason at all. Everything written is meant to be.:D Regards Styria

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

So Andrew, how's the 7th wonder coming along - I won't ask you, as I am sure you'd still be happy having purchased the car (especially in such nice condition), but have you yet sorted the suspension and is it running okay in other respects as well?

OK, sorry for the EXTREMELY late reply :)o) but I've been away again and haven't had much time to do anything W116 related except drive them.
However recently things are less busy and now I've had to start working on my 350SE I'm getting right back into it all again.

As for the 6.9, unfortunately we haven't sorted out the suspension properly yet, however we are fairly certain it needs new cells in the front. Could be costly I understand, but shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't appear to lose much hydro fluid, but it does lose some. Besides that the car rises everytime it's started, as it sinks over time obviously, but it rises fine so that's good.
You can drive it, but you have to be really careful near any bumps or sudden (even small) changes in terrain or the front of the car will "bounce".

As such, it (the car) gets small drives now and then to keep everything nice and lubricated but obviously with this suspension ATM you can't give it proper Italian tune-ups ;)
It's ok to cruise on the flat highway, but that's it really.

Bad suspension aside, the car is wonderful. It runs great, response and power is fantastic and it has a much smoother idle than the other W116's here. But they haven't had the same treatment this car has had in the past (i.e rebuilt engine parts etc).

I wouldn't be exaggerating by saying that the slightest increased pressure on the throttle and suddenly you notice it leaves most cars behind you for dead ;)
The sheer effortless-ness and rapid yet, easy acceleration is amazing. The fact it's a '70s saloon makes it more so :D

Which makes the suspension even more of a shame ATM as it's a bit of a killjoy :cool:

But that will come in due time. For now, the 350 awaits as I try to get fuel flowing from the petrol tank (damn filter...) :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also, forgot to add that fuel consumption on the 6.9 is surprisingly good.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Andrew 116, you must have known that a PM has been coming your way for probably about three weeks at least - yeah, I think even longer than that. So I say to you "great minds think alike. fools never differ" and indeed it is nice to hear from you.

SOLID air pressure cells will not stop the car from being pumped up and, that of course, is only part of the story. Changing the Air Pressure Cells will make a huge difference - in fact, from being virtually undriveable, you can experience the "magic carpet" ride.

Changing your fifth pressure cell (the one with the switch fitted - under the l.h. front guard, will also stop the car from dropping overnight. The car relies on that cell to maintain pressure in the system when it is not being used, or parked for that matter.

Anyway, keep us updated if you feel comfortable in doing so. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Great to hear from you again Andrew..

Also tell us what you are doing?
Work? Uni? TAFE?

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
So far as the Australian population of 6.9's is concerned, here is some interesting facts I gleaned from various sources when I acquired my 6.9 back in May 2000: The RTA (NSW) at that time said that there were 38 6.9's in current registration. I remember that exact number. This next fact (from memory, I think is about 90% correct). I rang MB Aust. to ask them how many were imported. The number was around 280. This second fact can be confirmed with accuracy, if anyone wishes to ring MB Aust in Melbourne; they should be able to give you the total number imported, and the breakup per year. These cars would be all Australian complied. With grey imports since that time, the total of ALL imports into Australia I feel would be near to 400.
The survival rate of this long lived car to the year 2009 I feel should be around the 100 mark for Australia, with perhaps 20 - 25 based in Sydney. The survival rate of 6.9's as a proportion of the W116 population I feel would increase in the next decade.

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Great to hear from you again Andrew..

Also tell us what you are doing?
Work? Uni? TAFE?

Hi Michel, I'm working at the moment on a farm in my area.
I was doing year 11 and 12, however I finished year 12 late last year. Before that I was doing an agricultural apprenticeship and courses with TAFE, which kept me busy, but I then moved onto finish off college. All this and part time work meant I've been quite busy.
The last couple of months have just been mainly work itself, but I've also been helping around home to convert what was once a big shearing shed into a car workshop and storage, which means more protection and work space for the Mercs ;)
Also meant I could take out the old Chrysler Valiant out of one of the normal garages meaning my 280SEL once again gets a proper living space away from the whether, since the 6.9 stole it's original one...

In short I haven't so much been doing things with the W116's, but rather doing tasks that help with maintenence and protection for them. Gee do I sound obsessed :rolleyes: :cool:

SEL_69L said:
The survival rate of this long lived car to the year 2009 I feel should be around the 100 mark for Australia, with perhaps 20 - 25 based in Sydney. The survival rate of 6.9's as a proportion of the W116 population I feel would increase in the next decade.

Nice info, thanks. That's probably less than I expected actually, and I agree about the survival rate. I've seen quite a few (as we all have I'm sure) very neglected W116's of the "lesser" breed, which is unfortunate but when they have sold for so cheap in recent times it's to be expected.
My 350SE was one such neglected car, just $800 I bought it for. Now I'm proud to say it looks and goes heaps better than when I bought it. Still a fair bit of work to go, but it's getting there.

On another note, I went to a car show on the weekend in Devonport. Just for a look around, to see what was there. Would have taken pics if I had the camera, but it wasn't to be. Anyway I eventually saw the side of a gold-ish W116 (the only W116 I saw there) in between various rows of classic cars, and I thought to myself, "I bet that's a 6.9!"

Then I got to the back of it...and it was a 280SE :D
Meanwhile a certain Victorian-turned-Taswegian Milan Brown 6.9 sat in a car park outside the show entrance :eek: