The 6.9 journey...

More threads by -bb-

-bb-

Noble
As some of you would be aware, earlier in the year, I bought Jim Carr's 6.9. There is a thread about it on w116.org: http://forum.w116.org/shop/my-very-nice-milan-brown-6-9-for-sale

I had a good look at it before purchase, as did Styria, and the overall consensus was that its quite a good car which has been reasonably maintained by the previous owner and that could be brought upto scratch with a little bit of work and a few bucks.

So, armed with that knowledge and with (hopefully) a good idea of what I was getting into, the deal was done.

Since purchase, I have a few bits and pieces done. They include a service/tune up, new the drive belts, change of fluid and filter in the auto and I also had the A/C fixed (replaced TX valve, receiver dryer and one of the other valves (?). The air worked well for a week then subsequently died again :(

Yesterday, I started a leatherique treatment on the seats, which other than a bit of the drivers seat, are in good condition - other than being a bit dirty.

The real work is about to begin. They include fixing the rust, paint, suspension and other mechanical bits that I am sure will pop up along the way.

I will record the progress in this thread as we go along and I'm sure plenty of advice will be sought along the way.

Last edited:
OP
B

-bb-

Noble
Here are some obligatory before photos. These are exactly as I bought the car, except for a wash.

They are captures from some video footage, so they aint the best quality.

The outside:

20080309194452qr5.jpg

20080309194459di3.jpg

20080309194506wk0.jpg

The smile generator:

20080309194524zc6.jpg

The inside is in good nick overall except for the bit of stuffed leather on the drivers seat:

20080309194555xq3.jpg

20080309194612lq6.jpg

20080309194648ex1.jpg

The two bits of rust on the front left guard:

20080309194509oh7.jpg

20080309194515gg6.jpg

The rust in the firewall (and what nearly stopped me buying the car, but Styria kept telling me that to him its very local to one area and not a hard fix):

20080309194521fj6.jpg

...and finally, the seats covered in plastic with the car sitting in the sun after an application of the leatherique oil (messy stuff that is):

20080309194736fu3.jpg

Last edited:

WGB

Thaks for the "before" photos.

It will be interesting to see how things go.

Even the best of them need constant work.

I had my aircon rebuilt two months ago with new hoses and a new compressor but it went flat yesterday - so I will be ringing up in the morning to see about their warranty service.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi bb, Thanks for those photos. As you know, we have discussed your car at length on a couple of occasions and I like your methodical and thorough approach in getting its overall standard up to your liking.

It will be interesting to get your opinion on the Leatherique treatment - obviously, it will be an improvement and some people have praised the product highly. We have used Leatherique ourselves, but I still don't know how effective it is - but, I am not knocking it. Bummer about the Air Conditioning. Regards, Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice pictures BB and a very good and honest commentary.

Keeps us posted.... we're all fascinated by one another's progress on our 'babies' :D

Des

That's a very nice looking 6.9

love the bumper overriders,
love the chrome wheel arch trims

the W126 wheels look like a factory job,

very nice indeed

OP
B

-bb-

Noble
Ok, so, time for a belated update:

-The rust is fixed (couple of pics when I upload them)

-Full detail of the car as well as a steam clean of the engine bay and under the car

-New fuel filler cap (old one was not sealing at all)

-Leatherique is some good ####; the seats are much cleaner now, it did show that the leather had faded in places that I didnt notice before

Other stuff to be done:

-Suspension work (I know a couple of air cells are stuffed and the ride isnt as smooth as it should be)

-Minor trim work (seat springs mainly)

-Fix broken power window

-To make sure its running as well as it should be

-new/exchange A/C compressor

-new/exchange alternator

-new windscreen and seal

-new disks and pads

-make the sunroof slide better

Last edited:

SELfor50

Hey mate, forgot about the A/C compressor... Just took mine off ol' silver. Left it with MB Spares. Not sure if it was working or not, because never bothered getting it re-gassed (who needs a/c?!) ;)

But if you want I can ask MB spares for it (it'll still be there) and if you can use it, it's yours.

Keen to see the pics of the rust removal spot etc. And also how the engine bay came up!

Busy at work today, but i'll have to try catch up with you during the week or next weekend to see it in the flesh.

Cam.

OP
B

-bb-

Noble
Rust is fixed:

rust1az5.jpg

rust2me1.jpg

rust3tk2.jpg

(still need to get something to replace the soundproofing stuff that was there)

SELfor50

You got it back in the capital yet???

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

John S

It would be easy for Parkes to replace that strip of leather in your front seat, it would improve the whole look. After treating the leather with Leatherique you can bring it back to the original look using their leather colouring system.

OP
B

-bb-

Noble
Another update:

-Suspension work - done (two air cells and a couple of valves needed replacing)

-Minor trim work (seat springs mainly) - done

-door trim foam in the front - done

-new/exchange alternator - done

-new windscreen and seal - done

-also needed a new battery

Next round of stuff:

-Fix broken power window (rear right)

-To make sure its running as well as it should be

-new disks, pads and reconditioned calipers

-make the sunroof slide better

-fix cracked leather on drivers seat and faded bits on passengers seat and arm rest

The round after that:

-new/exchange A/C compressor

-cruise control fix

And some time in the near future I am putting in a bloody CD player :)

Last edited:
OP
B

-bb-

Noble
It would be easy for Parkes to replace that strip of leather in your front seat, it would improve the whole look. After treating the leather with Leatherique you can bring it back to the original look using their leather colouring system.

Yeah some Leatherique filling and colouring is on the cards. Dont know if I will go to the trouble of replacing leather yet...

...or I could just get some seat covers :D

OP
B

-bb-

Noble
Yet another update (I have left out the bits that were done in the last update):

-new battery - done

-Fix broken power window - done

-new disks, pads and reconditioned calipers - done

The round after that:

-To make sure its running as well as it should be - will be done when it goes on a dyno very soon (how much power it makes will also be very interesting)

-new/exchange A/C compressor - will be done verrrry soon because the weather is starting to warm up and I am one of those wusses who likes his A/C :D

-fix cracked leather on drivers seat and faded bits on passengers seat and arm rest - have found a place that can apparently replace a panel of leather with similar leather and then 'colour match' the whole thing to the rest of the seat. Apparently can also recolour the bits that have worn or faded but still have leather that is in good condition. (Can you do this, Parks? If so, we need to talk...)

I am tending to lean toward getting it professionally done instead of trying to use leatherique filling/colouring products myself because if I fk the job up, it could be very expensive to fix.

-cruise control fix

-install CD player

-make the sunroof slide better - low priority

Last edited:
OP
B

-bb-

Noble
Also when the tyres run out (very soon), the 126 wheels are goneski and some nice 16 inch jobs are going on:

19092008003qn3.jpg

Some of you might recognise these from SELfor50's car; I got them off him a few months back. They really look the part when on my car, I must say.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice to see the 6.9 is beeing taken care of BB ;)