SELfor50

More threads by Des

Des

spotted this, looks like Cam?

52-sun-lean.jpg

http://autoclerks.com/2008/05/the-2...008-uber-gallery-24-hours-of-lemons-altamont/

SELfor50

OP
Des

Des

This gives me some ideas for my own paint sceme for my race car

3_4021.jpg

oscar

Just realised that yellow thing is a w123?? What's the engine though?

What's the race? It looks like a cross between a kidney car rally and a 24 hour smash up derby.

OP
Des

Des

Yep its a W123, or what's left of one,

engine is hard to tell, looks fairly long so probably a 280E, M110 or maybe one of those M103 or whatever they are called, the 230E type engine, found in the later W124's as well.

Would be fun to have a race like that with other TK members, everyone buys a Benz $500 or less and race till you can't race no more, crash and smash other cars off the track!

SELfor50

Yep its a W123, or what's left of one,

engine is hard to tell, looks fairly long so probably a 280E, M110 or maybe one of those M103 or whatever they are called, the 230E type engine, found in the later W124's as well.

Would be fun to have a race like that with other TK members, everyone buys a Benz $500 or less and race till you can't race no more, crash and smash other cars off the track!

You're on to something... only thing is, the race would go FOREVER!!! With such 'safe' cars, they'd never get smashed.. The engines would never break down, cause they're so reliable.. :D

Maybe, a crash & smash with Mercedes VS Holden or something?? ;)

I agree on the paint scheme too, saw the luftwaffe car and thought... :cool:

OP
Des

Des

Could be right there, might have to use cars everyone hates.......BMW's

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I love the weight reduction....

However, I don't think CAMS will pass it, except for smash up derby.... and still, they would have reservations

Styria

The Godfather
Well guys, this thread reminds me of a Stock Car meeting I went to during my recent trip to Austria and Germany. Unfortunately, I did not have my trusty Olympus with me at the time.

It was a meet in the middle of , you guessed right again, nowhere. The track was constructed on the day in one of the famer's paddocks and the racing was wild and woollie. The string of overturned cars was endless, the racing was fierce, and if anyone lost any of their car's tires, that was no problem - you just kept going flat out and if you were too slow for your fellow racers-no problem, you just got shunted out of the way.

As per usual, I had to mosy around the pit area to look at what was on offer.Stumbled across at least three or four cars with Audi V8 engines, and all rear engined cars (some home built) had Hanomag transaxles fitted to the back of the motors. I also spotted a car with a Rover V8 engine, and I tried to talk to the owner about mods to the engine. Unfortunately, his dialect and my lack of German technical terms could not find a common ground - I thought that he told me that modifying the SU carbie slides gave him oodles of extra power. I'll never know. In the feature race, he stopped after 100 metres with a dead engine.

There was also another vehicle fitted with a 560 engine and the aforementioned transaxle. Never got a chance to talk to the owner, but in the feature, after initially tussling for the lead but slowly and surely dropping back little by little, he blew his engine in a big way after about six laps. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well guys, this thread reminds me of a Stock Car meeting I went to during my recent trip to Austria and Germany. Unfortunately, I did not have my trusty Olympus with me at the time.

It was a meet in the middle of , you guessed right again, nowhere. The track was constructed on the day in one of the famer's paddocks and the racing was wild and woollie. The string of overturned cars was endless, the racing was fierce, and if anyone lost any of their car's tires, that was no problem - you just kept going flat out and if you were too slow for your fellow racers-no problem, you just got shunted out of the way.

As per usual, I had to mosy around the pit area to look at what was on offer.Stumbled across at least three or four cars with Audi V8 engines, and all rear engined cars (some home built) had Hanomag transaxles fitted to the back of the motors. I also spotted a car with a Rover V8 engine, and I tried to talk to the owner about mods to the engine. Unfortunately, his dialect and my lack of German technical terms could not find a common ground - I thought that he told me that modifying the SU carbie slides gave him oodles of extra power. I'll never know. In the feature race, he stopped after 100 metres with a dead engine.

There was also another vehicle fitted with a 560 engine and the aforementioned transaxle. Never got a chance to talk to the owner, but in the feature, after initially tussling for the lead but slowly and surely dropping back little by little, he blew his engine in a big way after about six laps. Regards Styria

I remember watching many demolition derbies when I was in the US....
It was one of my favourite 'watching' sports on Friday and Saturday nights