Reliable

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
My ML320 is now touching 19 years and 180,000 kms. Yesterday it went to MBS for its annual service (fluid changes, wheel alignment etc.). The comment from the service manage whom I have known for many years is that the vehicle is in perfect mechanical condition and together we went back through the computerised service records of the last 10 years. What has been replaced in that period? 2 rear shocks and one power steering fluid reservoir (nasty plastic animal that one).
Apparently it surprises the service manager that it shows no fault codes over that period. I guess the boys and girls who built the car all came to work on the day they screwed my ML together and did the job right the first time.
The only real trauma with it was the disintegrating loom shortly after the warranty expired but MB paid for most of that as they agreed it should have never happened.
Maybe I will just keep this vehicle until the wheels fall off from sheer old age...either its wheels or mine; whichever comes first.
Regards,
Brian

c107

and 111/116/124/126
It goes to show if you buy a decent car and then look after it, it will treat you well.

Many cars fall apart because of lack of maintenance and care on the part of the owner. As it ages you'll probably have more to do, but it will still be a very reliable car if you keep up the servicing as you are.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I echo Bryce's comment in relation to people falling behind in maintenance and general upkeep.

Your ML, Brian, is a credit to you.
The sad part is that if you sold it, you'd struggle to get $5000.

Keep it, its beautiful, reliable and the dogs love it too :D

Styria

The Godfather
Benz Boy, yours is a good story, whether it be by sheer luck, competent driving and use of the vehicle, or just being plain lucky. I have come across a few horror stories relating to the ML series, and one that comes to mind relates to an ML55 AMG that would wear out, or shall we say unevenly, it's front tyres despite an untold number of attempts by the dealership to eliminate the problem.

The car was bought new, and the owner got rid of it in disgust within no more than 12 months of ownership - if that. Talking of reliability, the Captiva is now up to 188K. kms, and is performing absolutely faultlessly - but, it is a well maintained car, has its oil and filter changed at six monthly intervals, and possibly the combination of maintenance and sympathetic usage may well play an important factor contributing to excellent reliability despite an unenviable reputation that Captivas suffer from. Who knows. Regards. Styria

Last edited:

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Styria,
I had a Captiva for a company car when I was at Eaton, and had it for 3 years and 160,000k’s.
It was just when Captiva was released for the first time and I had to wait 2 months for the Diesel, which all of the Eaton guys were to get.

In those 3 years, all it ever had done apart from regular servicing every 10,000 was a battery replacement in my key.

The longest trip I ever did in it was a drive of over 5000 k’s showing an Eaton boss our dealers on the east coast.

It was this car, and the first Hyundai I bought for my son that started my deep respect for Korean built cars.

They are still one of the best made, and reliable cars on the global market today.

FYI my Sons Hyundai mentioned was a 2005 Accent hatch.
He purchased it with 50,000k on the clock, he sold it with nearly 200,000 on the clock, I did the oil & filter servicing every 10,000.
It only had the air filter, fuel filter & plugs replaced, a full set of brakes and the timing belt.

Not off the road for a single second to any issue.

My daughter has just traded her problematic Mazda CX-7 Diesel in on a low k demo Hyundai i30.

She traded a 2001 Kia Rio wagon on the Mazda 3 years ago, and dramas ever since.
Her Rio had 285,000 on it when she purchased it as her first car for $1500, when she traded it on the Mazda it had 390,000 on the clock.
Again, only regular standard services by me, and a full set of brakes and 2 rotors.

I used to find many cars for kids friends, and I came up with a saying back then.
“Japanese or Korean, never European”

All of their friends that stuck to this and let me source their cars never had a single issue.

The first of them that bought European (a Holden Astra hatch and another bought a Ford Focus) had never ending dramas sigh!

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Patrick, I got to say that I will have to love you forever ! (Now, don't get any ideas):D. You're one of a very small number of people to give a good tick to a Captiva. I have done about 80K. kilometres since I bought it for $7500.00 either three or four years ago, and it came with service and maintenance book (well maintained) and I have had only the one breakdown - a fuel pump replacement about three months after purchase.

In the meantime, oil and filter replacements at six monthly intervals, I had the drive belt replaced as a matter of normal service, new front disc rotors to eliminate vibration when braking (purchase cost $240.00, plus pads (performance pads at $45.00 !) and labor to fit everything at $135.00. Servicing cost is usually $99.90 plus full synthetic oil that I supply, but the mechanic supplies the oil filter.

Fuel consumption varies between 11.00 to 13.00 litres per 100, but I have reached Coffs Harbour (600 kms.) with petrol in the tank to spare. The car cruises beautifully and quietly at 100-110, with about 2100 rpm showing, and everything works. No water leaks, no oil leaks, no fuel leaks- what more can I ask for. I will replace this faithful servant (6 cyl. Holden 3.2 litre engine and 5 speed Auto) in the not too distant future, and we are thinking of a Honda CR-V, or possibly (wait for it), a Ssang Yong Tivoli - another Korean built car. I think Hyundais and Kias are now really starting to cash in on their excellent reputation, so are no longer the bargain they once were. There are also the LDV as well as the Haval, both Chinese manufactured, and they seem to represent excellent value for money. I am very interested in your, or anyone else's pinion. Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Ah so; but does Hyundai offer Wilton carpet as an option?
On the matter of Great Wall utes; a plumber friend bought one to haul his gear around the inner city but spent most of the first year hauling it back for warranty repairs until he finally he traded it with less than 10,000 ks on it. It looked OK but it hardly ever managed to go very far...
Haval = Great Wall. They do a nice line in synthetic carpets.
Regards,
Brian

Patrick_R

Grand Master
A cuddle will do just fine Styria :D

You certainly have nothing to complain about there Styria.
Do what Brian is doing with his ML, and keep the Captiva?

I have not heard any dramas at all with any of the gaggle of Korean & Chinese cars you mention, but Brian is correct.

As soon as their duty cycle is higher than a normal family car, quality & reliabilty issues do arise.

My Niece bought a Great Wall small SUV when they were first released, and it has been excellent.

However I have heard many issues with these being used for business purposes.

The LDV seems to be very far ahead in both domestic & businesses reliabilty so far.
Quite a good vehicle, and very good value, but zero resale.

Styria

The Godfather
Once or twice, when having a bit of a free time, I have examined the interior of the LDV. I must say that I was not disappointed - in fact, appointments, colour schemes and features were par excellence. As you'd probably realize, the interior of a car is of real importance to me and I appreciate a light and airy interior. The LDV certainly delivers.

I understand your thoughts on resale, but I guess LDV will have to earn their spurs, similarly to what KIA had to do initially. I know it can take years, but then again have a look at the latest Commodores - could you buy one of those given the rate of depreciation etc. etc. Any decision is going to be difficult. Regards Styria

sean sherry

Master
Depreciation..... I was offered $8000 on my W204 C 250, a 2011 Avantgarde model with 76,000 Ks with full Service History. To trade on a VW Caddy Van costing $35,000. I paid $16,000 for the Merc about a year ago , a good deal at the time, and the car still drives like new, after I sorted out it's performance issue. It was sluggish and cost me about $60 to correct.
Second hand cars can't compete with a less than 20 Grand Drive away no more to pay with a 5 year plus Warranty.
:eek: I recall Styria had a similar tale of woe to tell a short while ago ??

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Styria,
I’d take an LDV over the current Opel made Insignia/Commodore any day.

I would even gamble an LDV would have better re sale than the Commodore.

Agree whole heartedly with you regarding LDV interior, really well executed.
Check out the G10 executive people mover interior.