Re treads

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
And I ask... what happened to tire re-treads?? Taxis in Sydney used to run exclusively on them as they never ventured over 80KPH. Side walls outlived the Treads by many KLs. Is it that new tires are too cheap ? Like many cars they are not worth repairing ? :confused:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Too dangerous:
1. The extra layer from the retread can and does lead to overheating.
2. Delamination is likely.
3. Sidewalls weaken with flexing and damage.
Retreads are for deadheads - sorry/ B all means retread your wheelbarrow but not any car in which I will ride.
Regards,
Brian

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Well said Brian,

Decent new tyres are available today for about the same price, these carry a manufacturer warranty.

Plus there are no longer any localy made retreads available (except for trucks) the local ones used to be of a reasonable quality, however all retreads available in this country today are imported from third world countries.

Retreads in Australia are a thing of the past, and should be left there.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Only manga boys run retreads now. That is V6 Commodore driver's with baseball caps hitting the rev limiter while attempting to smoke tyres. Sound they make is mang mang mang on rev limiter. Hence the name manga boys.

Styria

The Godfather
I had a recent re-tread blow out at 60 mp/h of the front left tyre on my 3 litre MarkIII Rover. It came to a very manageable halt. Also, fifteen years ago I went to a Club Meeting and they discussed pros and cons of Recaps for an hour and a half - I haven't been back since. The blow out, on the way to the Snow, occurred in 1979.:) Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
40 years ago is not very recent just saying

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I am 50 this year so unfortunately I have to concur. At least my birthday is also the 50th Anniversary of Woodstock.