Performance Cams

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Give these guys a try and they can make cams to suit your requirements. A mate has used them for his hillclimb 450SE.

https://tighecams.com.au/

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master

sean sherry

Master
sold on modern Turbos but not on Cam Grinds.... On a new Datsun 240 Z I had a Cam Grind using the profile from one of their Sports Grinds....Just moved the Torque up the Rev Range . Removing the restrictive rear Muffler was like letting off the partial Hand Brake . Fitting a Front Spoiler cured the Front lift at Speed.
Wider wheels and Tires cured the twitchy handling. Then was a proper " Poor Mans" :D E Type. !!!

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
sold on modern Turbos but not on Cam Grinds.... On a new Datsun 240 Z I had a Cam Grind using the profile from one of their Sports Grinds....Just moved the Torque up the Rev Range . Removing the restrictive rear Muffler was like letting off the partial Hand Brake . Fitting a Front Spoiler cured the Front lift at Speed.
Wider wheels and Tires cured the twitchy handling. Then was a proper " Poor Mans" :D E Type. !!!

So which company did the cam for the 240Z?

It seems to me there's a huge amount of R&D involved with cams and no hard and fast rules apply. Every engine is different which makes cam selection very difficult. Even worse, it seems there's not much info on the AMG cams to use them as a benchmark. Perhaps the only true way to do it is pull one out and have it checked? The other thing is a lot has changed since the 80s when AMG was definitely still experimenting. WE now know some of the limitations of KE Jet, the standard intakes and exhausts. I'm taking a punt that a better grind can be found (particularly for EFI)....

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Seems the Benz cams are rather retarded compared to others. However Benz list specs at 2mm lift instead of the usual 0.050”. Not even the metric equivalent! Of course they have to be different!!

E30A86E3-2A7E-48A9-842B-82AE09C80FCF.jpeg

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I’m evaluating all V8 cams but yes it’s interesting that the Euro M117.968 cams are still rather mild