Over heating

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
I wonder Styria if your expertise on Rovers includes the 75's with the V6 engine ( also used by Kia ) ? A friend has about 6 old cars including the Rover . ( None of them are without major issues ) He has a veneer of mechanical knowledge which isn't very thick. Having said that , I try to point him in the right direction as best I can.
He replaced the thermostat, stuck closed, but the overheating is back. He said that he sat at the side of the road and revved the engine and suddenly the temp dropped to normal. He now wants to sell it and will drop a lot of money, he is fed up with issues.

Any suggestions as to the over heating ???? i.e., do these cars have a history of over heating ??

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I wonder Styria if your expertise on Rovers includes the 75's with the V6 engine ( also used by Kia ) ? A friend has about 6 old cars including the Rover . ( None of them are without major issues ) He has a veneer of mechanical knowledge which isn't very thick. Having said that , I try to point him in the right direction as best I can.
He replaced the thermostat, stuck closed, but the overheating is back. He said that he sat at the side of the road and revved the engine and suddenly the temp dropped to normal. He now wants to sell it and will drop a lot of money, he is fed up with issues.

Any suggestions as to the over heating ???? i.e., do these cars have a history of over heating ??
I can recommend an expert for the Rover 75 V6 if your friend is interested. Otherwise, if he wants to sell it cheaply I might be interested in buying and fixing for my own use.
Regards,
Brian

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes Brian I think he is happy to sell it for not to much money. the car is generally in good order straight and clean. Everything was well until the thermostat issue. Could be that the new Thermostat is playing up. I don't think he knows how to diagnose problems and I try not to get too involved these days with all his issues with the other cars.
I'll let him know of your interest and he can take it from there.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
The Kia version of the Rover 2.6 litre V6 had enormous problems with the cylinder head gasket.
Kia recognosed the fault far too late, and a huge number of the Kia built Rover V6's went into the first incarnation of the Canival people mover.

The warranty fix that Kia paid for, was to replace the engine block with a new modified version of the original. The engine had to be taken out an re built with the new block. Customers were advised to have their vehicles fixed when water was observed in the oil, and / or with overheating problems. Just about every Carnival had this engine rebuild by about 100,000 klms.

The second incarnation of the Carnival has Kia designed and built 3.8 litre V6, and is an all round much better vehicle.

Helmet

Connoisseur

From this description and given that the thermostat was indeed faulty I would say the cooling system had an air lock . Many cooling systems just don't work by pouring coolant in. The air needs to be bleed out for the system to function correctly.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Clear thinking Helmet. I was not involved with the Thermostat issue and the owner is one of those guys who knows everything. Lead a horse to water etc.
I'll pass your advice on to him ...forcefully !

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Clear thinking Helmet. I was not involved with the Thermostat issue and the owner is one of those guys who knows everything. Lead a horse to water etc.
I'll pass your advice on to him ...forcefully !
Every car I have ever owned has had its own peculiar way of bleeding air from the cooling system - some with a screw valve - some with simply loosening the top hose while filling it with the motor running (the Lancia system) and failure to bleed fully simply leads to cavitation and all sorts of issues - mind you I suspect its more than that here because surely he would see the coolant level fall after use? Than again maybe not ...
Regards,
Brian