Optical Prescription Spectacles

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
The sub-heading says 'got a good deal recently' ? If so, ' share it with the community'. Well, I am about to do just that. Nothing to do with Motor Cars except I do like to see which way I am heading, and I need to claim a waiver of accepting responsibility, and to also declare that I have no pecuniary interest in any dealings that anyone may decide to pursue.

I do wear prescription glasses, and many years ago I had a very useful contact with OPSM, at one stage just about the only company that one could deal with in this country. Well, large company, anyway. With the help of this contact, virtually no money ever changed hands - I was being spoilt well and truly. The contact dried up due to retirement (some 20 years ago), and going back about ten years in time, I had occasion to deal with Paris Miki, then trying to be a real alternative to OPSM (Optical Prescription Spectacle Makers). I got a lovely Rodenstock frame, bi-focals with transition features, but I cannot recall what I paid then. Well, nothing lasts forever and I found myself in the position of actually having to pay REAL money to get a new frame and and new lenses. Now, if you want something decent by way of frames and lenses, you're starting to nudge a minimum of $450.00, and it is not unusual to pay upwards of close to six to seven hundred dollars. You know, designer frames such as Prada, Gucci etc. - nice how those names run off the tongue so beautifully, but with an appropriate price tag.

Even lenses - the variety is limitless. Chinese, French, Polycarbonate, 1.61, 1.57, progressive, bi-focal, scratch resistant, transition - you get the idea ? It's all got to be paid for. Okay, the Internet was the next option. The choice is bewildering, but a friend recommended "Zennie Optical", a company located in the States, but everything, and I mean everything, comes from China. You order by prescription, you can choose from hundreds of "lacking designer label" frames, the Company even emailed me to advise that I had chosen an unsuitable frame due to the strength of my prescription, they provided me with an alternative choice suitable for my requirements, and the whole lot cost $US98.00 which covered progressive lenses, titanium frame, clip-on sunnies, polishing cloth and postage. The whole lot, from go to whoa took seven days. They are on my handsome face now and I am stoked with the service and quality of goods provided. Try them. Regards - Happy Styria

Last edited:

John S

Reading glasses seem to be a real head scratcher. It really doesn't matter how much you pay for the lens, they should all be made to exactly the same specifications / prescription. Also the price of frames at various retailers is not a real indication of quality, some cheap frames at one retailer may be better than a dear frame at another.

Unfortunately I have been out of the industry too long. so I cannot recommend on where to pick up the best value items.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi JohnS, there is a retailer in Parramatta Westfield that will sell frames at anything between 30% to 60% off, and they have quite a terrific selection. You know, Prada, Gucci, DKNY, Seiko, Carrera, and God knows how many others - a really good choice, but the Pradas that I liked were still about $300.00 even with their discount. Then, on top of that, you still have to pay them to fit your own lenses. This is one of the few retailers that are prepared to do so - most of them tell you that it is just about impossible because of breaking the lenses, etc. etc. - they seem to find just about any excuse, or reason, or whatever not to do it. The mark-up on lenses has to be huge. I cannot think of any other reason - and, whatsmore, I found OPSM just about the most expensive.

I know that they operate on a humongous mark-up - my mate used to tell me. It's quite indecent. Regards Styria

Last edited:

John S

Fitting a lens into another frame is rather difficult, or even impossible in a large number of cases. Normally the lens is ground down to size to fit the frame selected, so if the lens has been fitted to a frame already, the new frame has to be smaller in size so the lens can be ground to fit.n If the lens is glass and has been hardened it will shatter when the grinding starts. If the lens is plastic and has a hardened coating all odd things can happen to the surface when grinding down.

Note that top of the line designer frames used to be discounted when the season or year was over, placijng the frame in the "cheaper" section of a display. Price with a frame was not always indicitive of quality.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I understand where you're coming from, particularly as far as the lenses are concerned. Honestly, choice of frames from a good retailer is a minefield, with an overwhelming choice. Generally speaking, mind you, one would think that the more you pay, the better you get, but is it really so ? Unless you're in the trade, you don't really know.

As a matter of interest, Big "W" have now gotten into dispensing of spectacles, and I checked out their range and prices. Again, not that cheap when you are getting down to tin tacks - add bi-focal, transition, better quality lens and again you're approaching at least the $350.00 dollar mark. I paid one hundred without transition - I know which one had to win. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I have succumbed to the age problem of needing reading glasses when I reached my mid-forties.
After having 20/20 vision all my life, I suddenly found out that text was blurry and somehow it was easier to read if I held it further away from my eyes as I could not focus that close.

After checking this with my doctor and asking whether I needed glasses his simple response was:
"when you run out of hand, then it's time to go to the optometrist".

When THAT time came, I visited a prominent optometrist and I was somehow baffled by the sales pitch tried upon me.
A few hundred dollars for simple magnifying glasses to be able to read better.

NO THANK YOU!

I went to my local $2 shop and bought a pair of +0.5 for $5 and they were great.
As time got on, the vision deteriorated, especially at night (as they all do) and the +0.5 gave way to +1.0, then +1.5, then +2.0.
I also found that my distant vision was getting bad.
So back to the optometrist I went and I ended up with a pair of multi focal transitionals with polarised lenses.
The 'latest technology" was more than $600 for the lenses alone!
The frame was another story.

But you know what?

It is cheap spending to have good vision!

A note:
For contant mid-range work (computer work, shaving, etc) I still use a fixed pair of +2.5 (the vision seems to have settled there for a while) otherwise my neck would hurt under the constant elevation of the head to reach that precise spot in the multi-focal range.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, you don't really shave anymore, do you ? Well, I've been looking at your various Avatars and that's the conclusion I have come to. However, if you're wearing specs when shaving, it is easy to understand that you could miss the odd bit or two, here and there. :D :D Anyway, to get to the serious end of business.

I had to chuckle to myself when you talked about craning your neck when looking at items in certain situations. I have been doing it for years on account of the bi-focals with the cut-off line in the lens. Like, you're looking at whatever in a display window, and the head is stretched right up to the Almighty - at least, it feels that way and I am sure that I have gotten a bad neck out of it all. Likewise, working on the computer.

I have been getting sick of this for a long time, but never knew what to do about it, until talking to a couple of optometrists, and they have come up with a just about perfect solution - forget bi-focals, progressive lenses is the way to go and that's what I have finished up with. My Asian friends obliged and I have been a different man (vision wise) for the last eighteen hours. One shouldn't forget that I have been wearing spectacles for the last fifty (yes 50) years - good thing is that a recent test showed that my vision has improved since the previous test some ten years ago. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Ah, but it is dark, dark tinted glasses I will be needing after looking at the wheels on the gleaming beauty....:D:D:D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Ah, but if you buy them from China through Zennie Optical, you will not shed any tears looking for lost money. Gleaming Beauty and shiny wheels - believe it or not, I've had many compliments regarding her appearance - favourable, that is. Regards Styria

CraigS

Based on some of the costs mentioned, surely it must be an option to look at laser surgery. I realise this is not for all, but it should be a one time cost as opposed to continual eye deterioration and the occasional lost/damaged pair of glasses. Fortunately, I haven't got to the point where I need glasses (yet !) but laser surgery would seem the obvious choice to me.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Based on some of the costs mentioned, surely it must be an option to look at laser surgery. I realise this is not for all, but it should be a one time cost as opposed to continual eye deterioration and the occasional lost/damaged pair of glasses. Fortunately, I haven't got to the point where I need glasses (yet !) but laser surgery would seem the obvious choice to me.

Laser surgery is not for those (like me) who are having age related eye-sight problems :eek:

E200K

I'm in the same boat as you, Michel. My eyes would be ok but only if my arms were longer. Can't have laser surgery and can't get used to putting on glasses so I've reverted to asking my daughter to read the labels on food jars. Trouble is, she's only six so the results of my cooking are now a bit unpredictable.

260ebenz

Master
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
But Tim, he doesn't look like Mr. Magoo - does anyone remember that character ? He always appealed to my sense of humour and, in fear of opening a can of worms (or another topic), even the Three Stooges were funny enough as well. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi guys sorry about the eye sight issues i have been lucky thus far and are blessed with 20/20 vision but i do understand as i suffer from a 50db loss off hearing but thats life and you deal with your faults as best you can i must addmit i am surprised about my eye sight as my father wore glass's his entire life and my mother has for the last 30years but i am sure one day age will catch up and glass's will be needed:)

260ebenz

Master
But Tim, he doesn't look like Mr. Magoo - does anyone remember that character ? He always appealed to my sense of humour and, in fear of opening a can of worms (or another topic), even the Three Stooges were funny enough as well. Regards Styria

Styria just a bit of light humour that is all.

No offence to Simon and no he does not look like Mr.Magoo.

Cheers.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Styria just a bit of light humour that is all.

No offence to Simon and no he does not look like Mr.Magoo.

Cheers.

:D:D Hi Tim, not for one moment would I have thought that you were insulting - quite honestly, I love a bit of humour and light hearted banter. Life is just that much nicer and brighter if you can put a smile on someone's face, even if it is my own. Mind you, not everyone's like that, and that's just another species that's populating this world. Regards Styria

E200K

If I could read Tim's response I may be offended but I can't because I don't have my glasses with me. Is there a forum on this site that is in braille?

AAB

Yours truly, " Blind Freddie Barnes " ( some unkind rellies say that he had no toys as a boy !! ) recently had the second cataract done, & ordered his new multifocal photosensitive set of goggles, $350 changeover price, not cheap but worth it.

The cataract ops were absolutely pain & discomfort free,..very agreeably surprised !!

The day I turned 40, I think that my eyesight went from 20/20 to about 10/10

Regards,

Alex