Nugget

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Ladies & Gents let me introduce you to my gold 450SEL (28414). I bought her with my last 6.9 as a parts car. Although she looks nice, she's an old one (still not sure of the build date) with an average interior, D-Jet injection and rust in at least 3 doors, the boot seal channel, boot lid, rear inner guards, quarters, rear valance, sunroof panel and firewall. I must say I'm really impressed by the colour :D:

CIMG6132.jpg

CIMG6130.jpg

CIMG6131.jpg

CIMG6133.jpg

CIMG6134.jpg

CIMG6135.jpg

CIMG6136.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

CIMG6139.jpg

CIMG6152.jpg

CIMG6138.jpg

CIMG6140.jpg

CIMG6141.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

CIMG6142.jpg

CIMG6143.jpg

CIMG6145.jpg

CIMG6149.jpg

CIMG6150.jpg

CIMG6146.jpg

WiSeGuYY

LOL MARK , cogratulation on goldi but still i can't figure how many will be enough of 116?? not even desire of any other models???

REGARDS

TAREK

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
What I thought was gold is actually beige (462H)! Apparently it was used between 9/72 and 2/75. It also has rear SLS (480), Behr A/C (580), heat insulated glass (599), Australian version (625), rear reading lamps (877) and deleted front inertia reel seatbelts (436).

Wiseguyy I love many different models, but the W116s are almost rediculously affordable. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't get a really good deal; I didn't need it and I'm now outta of space. I'll be ramping up my efforts at the end of the week (holidays for 3 weeks) and I should have at least one on the road by mid January. I've made a promise to my mum that I'd have one registered in time for her significant birthday in February! And then there's the M100 tour.... :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I like that colour.:D

The car looks pretty straight.
It's a shame the rust wasn't attended to at an earlier time :eek:

But, very salvageable....;)

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, you obviously bought it for the right price. A bit of work ahead of you ! As a matter of interest, which car, which of the 6.9s (?) will you be concentrating on ? Which do you think is the one to require the least amount of work ? Looking forward to your repots in due course. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
What are your plans for it Mark?

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Unfortunately for Nugget my 6.9s take precedence! So unfortunately she'll end up as a parts car, so I can save most of the others. I guess that's reality guys! Yes she is salvageable, but she's also been repainted before and I can already see she's hiding some dirty secrets... :eek: Cost of repairs would far outweigh the price I paid for the car and it wouldn't take much to completely overcapitalize!

I still like the colour and I'll have to keep it in the memory banks if I consider a colour change on the others. I'm sure it'd look even better in the sunshine, so I'll take a couple more pics on a sunny day... :)

I'll be starting on Blackhands old car first and first priority will be to do an inspection myself and determine what it needs for a RWC. I'll be doing that early next week in a new thread with photos. In fact I'll create a new thread for each car. In order of best to worst (and hence order of priority) it goes: 6301 (blue), 5541 (red), 5298 (blue) and I haven't decided which is the worst for a parts car, but my plan will probably remain unchanged, so the order will continue from 5318 (silver) to poor old faithful 4248 (blue). Interesting that the priority list almost mirrors new(er) to old(er) chassis numbers...

And I finally bought a trick microphone for the video camera, so if I get the hang of it they'll be some videos on Youtube shortly too!! :D:D

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, I think we are in for some exciting times ahead. As you know, I carried out a lot of work on Black Hand's car many years ago - about ten, isn't it ? It's a fairly standard colour combination, like the Silver Blue (is it 904) and the Beige coloured upholstery. Any thoughts of two tone still ? Really looking forward to progress reports in due course. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Heart breaking news to read about the reality of Nugget becoming a parts car :(

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yeah Michel it's easy to say "parts car", but not so easy to actually begin pulling one apart, knowing it'll never be whole again... :( I have more than a few reservations about actually doing it, but I'd rather save the better ones than have a yard full of average cars that can't be registered or driven on the road. And if I have reservations about an old 450, what are my chances of parting even a horrible 6.9?? :rolleyes:

Styria I'm not convinced two-tone is the way to go, but it depends on the colour combination. I'm going for tastefully modified. Maybe racing stripes! :eek: Hahaha!! The paint's actually pretty good (hence it's high on the priority list), although there's some rust in the rear wheel wells that'll need attention for RWC. More to come soon....

WiSeGuYY

HI ALL ,
though i'm not resident in Austrlia but i totally agree with the fact they are getting very hard to find parts for w116 i'm facing same problem with mine in other part of the world , also i'm interested in the brain storming for the colors since i will face the exact problem in later stage mono tone or two tone -the car was blue (904) and i like the color but donno if i have the guts to add another one for individuality as i asked in other post before or mintain the single tone.

So , GODFATHER keep the brain storming on.
REGARDS

TAREK

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
OK I've tried to move her and she won't fire. The batteries ok and after a few cap-fulls of petrol down the throttle, still nothing. That should rule out a fuel supply issue. Besides, I can hear the pump running for a few seconds before cranking. So I suspect a spark issue. I pulled a plug and cranked with it connected and it doesn't appear to have spark. Still nothing from the coil lead. I've checked all the fuses under the bonnet and all seems ok. I have power on both sides of the coil primary windings which I checked with a test light. One of the ballasts is cracked, but I'm not sure if that would cause a shutdown.

So ignition 101 begins.... I should know, but I don't and ever since points disappeared those ECU thingys have left me totally baffled. Can someone explain how I can simply check if the coil's ok and whether the igniter is switching?? HELP!!! :confused:

BTW I don't think the distributor has points, but instead it has a hall effect (?) sensor.... Pics if required.

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Oh and along a similar vein, a mate has another which won't fire either, but he suspects a fuel issue (I'm not sure if he's tried fuel directly into the manifold). He asked, where's the fuel pump relay?? I only have the body manuals which are no help. Ideas? Part number?? I think his is a K jet 450.

Tony66_au

No Spark? Power at the coil?

Yes and yes

Is the coil switching?

Check the negative feed to the coil with a multimeter to see if it is giving an off/on signal (Probably 8 volts BTW) and this is best achieved using a small globe in a socket (I use instrument lights) with 2 wires ending in crocodile clips.

If the light flashes when you crank then there is signal to trigger the coil and the issue is likely the coil.

Tony66_au

BTW the cracked ballast may have cut supply to the ign module so its worth checking both sides with the ign on, you should get 13-14 volts one side and 7 to 9 volts the other side.