mufflers

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Called Silencers in the UK. Are just that, designed to cut down noise.
How much performance is lost by this ? A lot of after market Mufflers make a lot of noise and not much else. I wonder how much comprise is a Mercedes system, i.e., before Catalytic Converters. ????????????
I remember a new 240Z Datsan I had in the seventies which was soft in the tuning. A Cam grind to SS Specs from the Sedan just moved the torque up the Rev. Band. So I fitted a rear "Hot Dog Muffler " which did the trick. It was like letting the hand Brake fully off.
I wonder if replacing the Rear Muffler on my 107 280 SL would achieve anything. It has an after market item , by Swift I think.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
You can increase performance with the exhaust. Noise does not have to be part of better flow.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes, I understand, but I guess that my question is, are Mercedes Mufflers a good compromise . I'll find out how the replacement after market one I have fitted is constructed. A copy of the original design perhaps.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
My 6.9 made 2301.Hp at the rear wheels with stock exhaust. After extractors and duel 2.5 inch exhaust with x pipe and 2 hotdogs with rear turbo style muffler with duel entry and exit. Made 255.6Hp at the rear wheels so 25.5Hp increase. How much was exhaust v extractors is unknown . With your M110 with your Euro cast manifolds I believe are 123/456 and are a 2 piece manifold my calculations are a duel 2 inch system would be perfect for your car similar in design to my 6.9 just smaller diameter. You may pick up 10hp .

Attachments

• IMAG0552.jpg
    IMAG0552.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0554.jpg
    IMAG0554.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0555.jpg
    IMAG0555.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 5

Styria

The Godfather
Sean, I had a straight through stainless steel muffler fitted about two years ago. It was a beautifully made after market unit, very similar in dimensions to the original 6.9 unit. It certainly has completely altered the exhaust note, and whilst I cannot confirm it by facts, Gleaming Beauty certainly seems to perform a fair bit better.

The muffler, I understand, is a popular fitment on Commodores or Statesman, and I just love the look of quality, the shine of the stainless, and the sound it produces. I think it is fabulous. Maybe one day you may get the opportunity to have a look at the system. Regards Styrioa

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
No need to confirm Styria I have done it for you my car was dynode before and after. :D

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Re: 5 Months to NSW Concours

Thanks for the detailed reply. I do wonder if the HP Gain you achieved was at the top end ,as I understand you are chasing Max Power. My aim is just normal street drivability. Low to midrange in a standard Euro Spec Engine.
My understanding also is , that an Engine needs a bit of back pressure to maintain Torque for street use ????
I once opened the exhausts on a 1960 Boxer Engine BMW Bike and just got more noise and a loss of mid range Torque. ..... (Ala a two Stroke )
Styria 's experience may or may not be illusory , but he loves the sound , so that is satisfactory for him.. 6.9's have so much Torque any way, it does not matter if there was not a gain in H. P.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Sean most if I overlay graphs was midrange but it was higher all the way. :D

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Good results.... you are way ahead of me with Engine Mod understanding.
As they say , you are not just a pretty Face !

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Pretty face is something don't think I have been called before. :eek:

Oversize

Grand Master
Stainless can be overkill for anything close to the engine where heat will evaporate condensation. Plus it can make you engine sound tinny and not throaty

Styria

The Godfather
Stainless can be overkill for anything close to the engine where heat will evaporate condensation. Plus it can make you engine sound tinny and not throaty

Mark, don't have problems in that regard - either front or back, and 6.9 engine, I would imagine, will never sound tinny.....Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I heard my 6.9 after extractors were made and fitted. Before exhaust was fitted. I don't think it would pass rego. :eek: