mistry cannister solved ?

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
I may have solved the problem. Apparently the connection to a slight air suction from the intake to the " can " , with the two fuel pipes ,is to prevent any fuel vapour entering the engine bay from the regulater, I think ?. Anyhow it has no effect on engine preformance and may not be fitted to the meriods of 110 engine types. Even if it was defective I would never know unless the car caught fire from petrol fumes. The unit is there to prevent this unlightly event. Typical Mercedes precaution. ......... Sean

Oversize

Grand Master
Refer to the other thread re a possible answer...

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
It is an origonal item. I found a couple of web sites to prove. One has a detailed picture, the other a detailed description. Both show and describe the unit and the connection, via a dedicated nipple fitting on the valve cover purge pipe hose. Also states that the function is to burn off petrol fumes via a low vacumm from air intake stream, it has nothing to do with an engine vacumm triggered pressure regulation. I guess it may be a forerunner of charcoal cannisters. ....Sean

Oversize

Grand Master
I'd say we'll need more pics to be sure

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Mark I'm not trying to convince you. I'm now satisfied by my reserch as to what the unit is , and is for.....Sean

Oversize

Grand Master
It would be nice to have more info for everyone else..... I don't have one so it's no skin off my nose.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Mark I'm not sure what "more Pictures " means. The picture is of the item bolted to the manifold and the only other picture that may be relevent is one of a piece of vacumm type hose running from the air vent tube at the valve cover. In an effort to clarify I suspect that the fume cannister is fitted only to Euro Spec 280Sl and maybe only from 1980 on ? ? ? Other pictures of this engine I have seen all have different set ups as there were a lot of variations of these engines. I have found it difficult to sourse information on the car as almost all the web sites are from the USA, and whilst there are a lot of Euro Greymarket cars there I don't think they have a lot of information on them . Particularly the SL 280 6 cyl. Having said all that , the car is running very well, both the engine and the 4 speed Auto. It doesn't give anything away to the V8s. I have owned both in the past. It is the non emmision and Hi Compression version.
Thanks as always to all for any inputs. Sean

Oversize

Grand Master
Pics of all the connections and the fuel pipes at both ends. Plus a couple of overall shots. If we can see what it's connected to, we might be able to relate to it better and understand. If it is rare, then I'm sure we'd all like to know as much as we can....

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I'll try , the pipe connecrors disappear under the manifold. Mean time the attachments may through a little more light on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1267[3].JPG
    IMG_1267[3].JPG
    472.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1268[1].JPG
    IMG_1268[1].JPG
    463.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1270[1].JPG
    IMG_1270[1].JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 7