McLaren MP4-12C Suspension

More threads by Oversize

260ebenz

Master
Speaking of McLaren I did hear that British Comedian Rowan Atkinson crashed his McLaren he did survive which is good news but the McLaren was left worse for wear.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Read about it in the current edition of 'Motor' magazine and had to check it out on the net! Got lucky and found a good site.... :D

Styria

The Godfather
Guys, please don't laugh at what I am about to say. Before I do though, I can only say what a great find by Mark, and an innermost tour at a fascinating piece of engineering. This is the sort of information that I treasure, as well as the clarity of the pictures and the knowledgeable commentary.

Now, getting back to the laughter bit. Isn't this shades of 6.9's 'old' technology ? Sure, the execution is different, but on the McLaren you have the master valve controlling the interaction of left and right and its compensating factors, whilst the 6.9's suspension and its behaviour is dictated to by the suspension valves front and rear, the distribution valve on top of the reservoir and the struts that get their input action from those valves. I am convinced that say, under hard cornering, the strut controlling the suspension will 'load up' and respond to the pressure that's exerted upon it. I have only ever experienced this 'sensation' or 'characteristic' perhaps once or twice under hard cornering, but maybe Michel may have a little to add to my comments - he has driven his 'Red Terror' 6.9 flat out on a race circuit.

I marvel at the beauty, quality and complexity of the design, and it gives an everyday 'bod' like myself something to admire. Great stuff. Regards Styria