Leakbusters

More threads by Lukas

Lukas

Hi all,

As "promised": long weekend = more time spent under the car = some idea of what is leaking. I spent a few weekends ago doing a basic clean under there, and this last weekend has shown up some fluid leaks. I've tightened what I can, given it a more thorough degrease and we shall see what transpires over the next few weeks. In the mean time, any advice on the below would be appreciated.....

IMG_4154.jpg

Exhibit A: This is one of the 2 pipes that carries ATF (I think) to the transmission. Appears to be leaking at the coupling, which I tried to tighten, not sure it actually turned though. Any ideas?

IMG_4155.jpg

Sump: seems to be leaking out of a few of the hex bolts that hold it on - is this a sign of some sort of gasket failure? I managed to tighten two leaky ones, but others are visually obscured or to hard to get an allen key into. If it is a gasket, looks like a pain to replace.

IMG_4156.jpg

Front LH sphere to strut line: leaking at coupling. Already tight. Any ideas how to leakproof?

IMG_4157.jpg

Steering box: already known to be leaky, and have a spare on hand. Is replacement the only feasible option (along with possibly repairing the leaky one once it's out)?

My usual approach to fixing leaky connectors is to add plumbers tape, but that is not desirable when it comes to automotive applications.:eek:

Thanks

Lukas

AAB

Lukas,

As a really old joker ( having owned various leaky cars since 1954 ), I only recently discovered " Flare nut spanners ",.which are a must for loosening & tightening joints in lines,..including those rotten little flare nuts on the brake calipers !!

The only oil leak that I currently have, ( after giving my new flare nut spanners a real work out ) on my 450SEL, is the Aircond compressor which will be replaced in the near future.

Regards,

Alex

OP
L

Lukas

Ta for that Alex - I shall investigate. Am unfortunately short on place sto store new tools until the garage is built, but there's plenty of room in the boot of 4 w116es.