Intergrated Phone

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Telstra tell me that our 9 year old Nokia Phone which clips into the centre console of our 2010 Class will not work after the switch to 3 G (in September?)
I recall changing to an updated Sim Card a year or so ago. Now they say we need a new Phone as well, which I assume will be a Bluetooth connection and will render the current cradle obsolete. The cradle also charges the phone.
The old Nokia is bullet proof. I have replaced the screen, repaired the charging socket, try doing that with the new ones. Screen from China $22.

Telstra also sent me a new 3G phone free of charge to replace my one year old Nokia 8. Looks like it is made from tissue paper and spit.
??????????????????

Helmet

Connoisseur
Sean, you can get a Viseo bluetooth unit that fits into the Nokia cradle, you can the use any new Phone. Maybe you can line up at midnight next Friday and get the new I phone 7 :):D

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I Phone Helmet ? Only my Grandchildren know how to use these new fangled devices. Call me a Luddite if you must. Smoke signals with a blanket is fine with me !

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I Phone Helmet ? Only my Grandchildren know how to use these new fangled devices. Call me a Luddite if you must. Smoke signals with a blanket is fine with me !

Even the Godfather knows how to use an iPhone ;)

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
My excuse is that the ageing process must be taking its toll.
A loss of patience..the line of least resistance... the easy way out.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
My excuse is that the ageing process must be taking its toll.
A loss of patience..the line of least resistance... the easy way out.

You must not let the ageing process take over! :eek: :eek:
You know how to use a computer and you know how to use a phone...
Then you must be able to use an iPhone as it is essentially a mini computer with a phone inbuilt. :)

-bb-

Noble
Telstra tell me that our 9 year old Nokia Phone which clips into the centre console of our 2010 Class will not work after the switch to 3 G (in September?)
I recall changing to an updated Sim Card a year or so ago. Now they say we need a new Phone as well

Telstra are shutting down their GSM network this year. It has nothing to do with the SIM card, Telstra simply won't be operating a network that phone can use.

The way to keep it alive will be to switch to the Optus network (who will be operating GSM until sometime next year) or Vodafone, who have not announced a shutdown yet.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Thanks for that, the switch to another net work will save the Day. My Wife is so well used to her old Nokia which works a treat in the C Class cradle.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Been talking to Telstra and they have assured me that we will still be able to make phone Calls and send Texts on 2G. It is only Internet that is effected. They confirmed this in an Email. That's all we use our phone for. Telstra Shop in Balmain said that we would have to buy new phones..
" But they would say that wouldn't they" ... Who remembers Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice Davis ?

-bb-

Noble
Been talking to Telstra and they have assured me that we will still be able to make phone Calls and send Texts on 2G. It is only Internet that is effected. They confirmed this in an Email. That's all we use our phone for. Telstra Shop in Balmain said that we would have to buy new phones..
" But they would say that wouldn't they" ... Who remembers Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice Davis ?

Telstra's 2G/GSM network is closing down in December. No calls or text... gone. Period.

If your phone is 2G/GSM only you need to either change networks (as I said before), or get an updated phone that is 3G as a minimum.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-Product-Exits/Our-2G-Network-is-closing/ba-p/440992

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I have just had an agonising session with Telstra ( an Hour ) on a chat line.
Both our phones have 3G Sim Cards. They checked this, and now say the Old Nokia should be fine with this Card. With Telstra it seems that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. When I told them what you had said concerning switching to a competitor with 2G they jumped to attention and cycled me through 4 departments until I got an answer. Now that I know what is what I will wait and see if the 3G sims still work, after December, in the older Nokia.

-bb-

Noble
The SIM card is not the issue, the phone itself is.
What is the make and model of the phone of concern?

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
it is Nokia about 8 years old. Under the Battery there is ........

Multi MEDIA CARD
64MB
0631159 1.1

Nothing else

Thanks |Sean

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
To further clarify my understanding..... Old Nokia with a 3G Sim should pick up 3G for phone calls but not the internet ( from Telstra )
If not at least now I have plan B .. switch to another carrier.

I also learned that the Telstra Shops are nearly all licenced by Telstra to a private Company.. hence the Sales Pitches for new Phones.

Knowledge is power !

Styria

The Godfather
Sean, you amaze me. Once you have a Smartphone, you would ask yourself why you would ever persevere with an old mobile phone. Even Julie now has a Huawei G8 Smartphone, and absolutely loves it. Her cost is $40.00 per month and we have chosen Vodafone as our Provider. No Telstra for us/me ever since they slugged me $400.00 to change networks within their own system about six years ago - maybe even a bit longer, after I had been told that there would be no charge.

You just have to be prudent in choosing your Smartphone. As a rule, we always want to have the latest and greatest, and what's where companies like Samsung and Apple get you - forget the idea of paying $80.00 to $100.00 per month - they are just getting to you for very, very little extra benefit, if any. I have already mentioned Julie's Huawei, whilst I have a HTC1 X9 at a monthly cost of &47.00 which gives me unlimited local calls, at least $120 or minutes of overseas calls, Internet etc.etc. Honestly, take the plunge. As Isaid,you won't know yourself. Regards. Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Many thanks Michel. I will wait and see what December 1 brings. I guess I am stuck in a rut and I will freely admit that with a lot of things these Days I just don't want to know. Am I slowly fading into the sunset? I do now realise that both physical and emotional energy go hand in hand. But I can't complain, my health is well under control, and as I have a young wife to look after me ...
Bev is not in her eighties till next year ! All men should be so lucky.

Looking forward to the Mercedes Concourse and hoping to catch up.

Sean:D:D:D