FS: rial N7016523 "wiremesh" alloy wheels + bolts, brand new

More threads by Afro107

A

Afro107

SILENT AUCTION, please PM your offer

* until 14th April 2014.
* The reserve price will not be disclosed and there is no BIN price tag either.
* full transparency, best accepted offer will be disclosed at the end
* Offer submitted is to be for the 4 wheels + bolts ex Sydney (Australia) (Artarmon 2064)
* Shipping is at your own choice and expense. I know this can be prohibitive for many. Weight is approx 10kg (22 pounds) and size when packed is ~20% greater than the wheel size, 2 boxes 2 wheels in each. The packed size info will be updated in coming days.

Wheels are BRAND NEW, never had a bolt, tyre or anything fitted.

year of manufacture: 1983.
diametre: 16"
width: 7"
offset: ET23 (+23mm)
shoulder: H2
PCD: 112mm
x-value: small* (please see the pictures)
colour: black
rim lip: aluminium gray paint (appears as polished, as per pictures)
bolts: conical, included with wheels

tyre width recommended: 195-245, 205-225 being optimal, most common 225/50-16

please refer to images for further info or ask a question here.

Thank you

* = x-value is the spatial allowance for calipers. Small means that these rims are good for cars like 116 or 107 series with 2 piston calipers, most 123, 126, 116, and older models. Not good for 126 and 107's with 4 piston calipers

Additional info:
* I will pack them FREE best I can with what I have, feel free to have your own packer pack them any way it suits you.

825306d1394254132-fs-rial-n7016523-wiremesh-alloy-wheels-2013-09-11-15.07.40.jpg

825298d1394254132-fs-rial-n7016523-wiremesh-alloy-wheels-2013-09-11-15.07.28.jpg

825314d1394254132-fs-rial-n7016523-wiremesh-alloy-wheels-2013-09-11-15.08.01.jpg

825322d1394254132-fs-rial-n7016523-wiremesh-alloy-wheels-2013-09-11-15.08.12.jpg

825362d1394254365-fs-rial-n7016523-wiremesh-alloy-wheels-2013-09-11-15.09.22.jpg

825330d1394254132-fs-rial-n7016523-wiremesh-alloy-wheels-2013-09-11-15.09.07.jpg

And finally a look-a-like wheel:

825378d1394256002-fs-rial-n7016523-wiremesh-alloy-wheels-2a838860326c90e0d9fbc6f881e0c7d0.jpg

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
What a great 'find' so to speak - I have always admired the looks of those rims on a number of 116s I have seen photographs of. Almost the best accessory on the various 'S' Class models, and they look best when colour coded with the rest of the car. Good luck with the sale.

You'd probably know of the rims on Gleaming Beauty plus, in addition, I have a set of genuine Bundts as spares. That ought to cover it. As a matter of interest, and harking back to your phots, one picture depicts a Milan Brown 6.9 - not yours, I take it ? Anyhow, informative photos, hope that TK is of help to you. Advertised elsewhere ? Regards Styria

OP
A

Afro107

What a great 'find' so to speak - I have always admired the looks of those rims on a number of 116s I have seen photographs of. Almost the best accessory on the various 'S' Class models, and they look best when colour coded with the rest of the car. Good luck with the sale.

You'd probably know of the rims on Gleaming Beauty plus, in addition, I have a set of genuine Bundts as spares. That ought to cover it. As a matter of interest, and harking back to your phots, one picture depicts a Milan Brown 6.9 - not yours, I take it ? Anyhow, informative photos, hope that TK is of help to you. Advertised elsewhere ? Regards Styria

No, it is not my 116 and, to make it clear, I have made that clearer than before with larger font. It is just an image I found on internet to depict what it could look like on a car.
Apparently, 116 on the picture sports 16x8" rials, this one that I have are 16x7.

7" is good for 225's, probably not for wider on a heavy car which is just about right for 6.9 too.

Styria

The Godfather
Well, I did miss the enlarged print. Anyway, there is no problem - it is an excellent way to demonstrate the looks - mind you, though, perhaps I had hoped that we may have come across a new 6.9 in the TK fraternity. Regards Styria

OP
A

Afro107

It was not enlarged, I enlarged it afterwards.
On BW I had a "complaint" that these wheels on the 116 are 16x8", not 16x7 as my wheels in spite of clear stating that it is only for similar appearance look.

I think that the 116 on above picture is a AMG 450SE(L), not a 6.9... but had this picture for ages now and I cannot remeber all the details

OP
A

Afro107

Hi Motec,

I cannot be more greatfull that you posted this link.

I must have the image from above 100 years ago and as I never looked for a 280 I cold not find it again.

Now I absolutely want one 116 in Milan Brown Metallic done like this.
If I did not have another set of brand new Rial N series I would never sell this one.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, I had seen this car elsewhere previously - may even have been on TK. Assuredly, someone will have an answer. In all honesty, this is about the most impressive of all W116s that I have ever seen - there are a couple of others on other websites that go pretty close, and one that comes to mind is a 450SE/L that was restored by a Norwegian guy on the org. site.

I think the colour is absolutely smashing - probably one of the best colours for the 116 body, and overall the car almost appears to have been photoshoped - that's how good it is. The chromed wheel arches help, as to the wind deflector, and curiously it is equipped with headlight wash/wipe facility, standard on 6.9s. Also, have a look at the richness in colour of the interior - I am shaking my head in admiration - no, nodding it. The car is somewhat down in the front, whether by design or otherwise, but overall it is a magnificent package. Regards Styria

N.B......and what about those wheels - simply stunning ! Someone should purchase Afro107's rims.

OP
A

Afro107

I had them advertised elsewhere and the feed back is that without a reference price the rims will not sell as everyone expects an excessive price tag.
Wrong.

Problem is that I do not know how to price them. Purchase price is not relevant as I got 3 sets of rims from supplier and being that they struggled to sell them, I was offered a deal to push me over the edge. One of the 3 sets is not even for Mercedes.
I've seen VGC rims of this vintage fetch well above the lowest 4 digit price but I understand that Rial N series in 7" (basketweave) are not as desirable as very wide Lorinser LO's or ATS 5 spoke's. Some value should be in them being absolutely unsued.
It's about perception too. I was suggested that some would prefer just about any barely repairable wheels in 16"x8" than brand new in 16"x7" of the same price tag.
The thing is that these wheels were originally made for 123 series (123 series apparently cannot take wider than 7") and that puts off potential 107/116/126 buyers. Few will know that 7" is still well within range of rims for 225/50-16 tyres.

so... what should be the market value for these wheel?
or... what should be the reserve price?

Styria

The Godfather
Well, the word is 'right' as part of the first paragraph - that is certainly the perception......someone not pricing an item for sale indicates a seller fishing for a high price. However, you may disregard all of what I have just said, as I do believe that your asking price is reasonable - so you say, although a possible low "four figure" price is right up there with the very expensive.

The situation is a little deeper than that. Those rims, in my opinion, need to be colour coded to be most effective. Black is a sombre colour, and not harmonious with other colours. That's my opinion, anyway. Black will obviously match Black, but what about Silver Green, Astral Silver, Diamond Blue, Milan Brown ? Thus after purchase price, one may have to consider getting the rim colour changed. The design of the wheel pattern is such that major surgery is required to change the colour - at least $180.00 per wheel and once you have taken that step, new tyres will then need to be purchased. So you can see that there can be a number of reasons why the rims are slow to sell. I still also think that you ought to quote a starting price on them for reference purposes. My two bobs worth. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Afro107,

Any luck selling those gorgeous wheels?

OP
A

Afro107

not yet.

I think I will have to set a price tag to be able to sell them.

I may put a sets of Lorinser LO's and I will definitely put a set of RS's for sale (both in 8"x16") as 7 sets of wheels for one 107 is way too much.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Would be interested in seeing other wheels. :D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Afro107 would still like to know about the other wheels. :D:D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi afro107 do you still have the wheels or the either wheels you were talking about selling. As you will see I now have a car that could do with some nice wheels. PS what were the other wheels. Geoff:D