Dipsticks

More threads by Des

G

GreaseMonkey

the dipstick in the m104 is bright red, not grey. much brighter than the transmission one, which is a rusty colour reddish brown
I just remembered the grey one was in another benz.

all my dipsticks and holes are clean Chris, so I don't have to worry about transferring contaminated, dirty oil when I wipe them off after putting them in and pulling them out a couple of times to check the oil levels.;)

I always wipe my dipstick off after inserting too.
Never yet been guilty of any contamination!
Chris

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Basically yes Chris - and it seems to be surprisingly accurate. The ML has a dashboard readout and the Spirit has a gauge on the fascia. Even my 1975 Lancia (bless its heart) had a push button on the dash - and it too was pretty accurate.
BUT - only a dipstick tells you any information about what is happening in terms of contamination so I guess dipping still has an important diagnostic function....
Regards,
BenzBoy

G

GreaseMonkey

I think it is just that simple act of wiping the end clean after dipping one's stick that makes it all worthwhile.
Chris

BenzBoy

Grand Master
How much oil for a change in the PII BenzBoy?

No idea. The initial fill was done by puring in oil until the foat lever said full and I did not bother to count the litres. Since then I have bought a workshop manual so I must look it up...not quite as negligent as it sounds; oil consumption is low on the list of priorities with her at the moment.
Regards,
BenzBoy