Dipsticks

More threads by Des

Des

I noticed something rather trivial but interesting today, on the 280S the circular hook on the end of the dipstick is a light brown colour, yet on my M110 powered W114 it is a deep chocolate brown.

Is there any significance to the differences, can other colours be found?

I took them both out and compared them, appear to be identical.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I noticed something rather trivial but interesting today, on the 280S the circular hook on the end of the dipstick is a light brown colour, yet on my M110 powered W114 it is a deep chocolate brown.

Is there any significance to the differences, can other colours be found?

I took them both out and compared them, appear to be identical.

I can send you the formula for the 690SEL paint :p

You could change them both to a decent colour... :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Steady guys, this is becoming personal.:D Regards Stryria
This is not a personnal dipstick exchange...

You can get involved too Godfather..:p

J

JoeB

perhaps the dipstick colour changes depeding on what hole you put it into?

:D

G

GreaseMonkey

I was just checking the end of my dipstick, but the wife walked in, better leave it now!

Chris

J

JoeB

John & I came up with a plausible theory - not confirmed yet.

the different colours are possible different length dipsicks - due to different oilpans depth and position and tubing.

time to whip em out and measure up now! :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
John & I came up with a plausible theory - not confirmed yet.
the different colours are possible different length dipsicks - due to different oilpans depth and position and tubing.
time to whip em out and measure up now! :D

You and John have been exchanging "Dipstick" theories?
Or have you been "eyeing" the differences :eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I must say the one "stupid" thing about the M110 engine is the placement of the dipstick, you have two fat hoses above it and it makes it more difficult than it should be to easily remove and replace the dipstick.

I concur... :eek:

G

GreaseMonkey

I've never had a problem either removing, or, re-inserting my dipstick, no matter what colour the end is. As long as everything is well lubed, it will pretty much find it's own way in.
Never failed me yet!
Chris

J

JoeB

I've never had a problem either removing, or, re-inserting my dipstick, no matter what colour the end is. As long as everything is well lubed, it will pretty much find it's own way in.
Never failed me yet!
Chris

The c124 has a blue end on the dipstick, from memory, or it's brown. perhaps the slc is blue, like stella... so I have 2 blue ones, a grey one and a brown one.

I don't know where that last one has been, but I do know I scrubbed it clean after I paid for it (the car that is):D:D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The c124 has a blue end on the dipstick, from memory, or it's brown. perhaps the slc is blue, like stella... so I have 2 blue ones, a grey one and a brown one.

I don't know where that last one has been, but I do know I scrubbed it clean after I paid for it (the car that is):D:D

You're just showing off Joe...:rolleyes:

G

GreaseMonkey

I just noticed this thread had gone a bit quiet, surely we have not exhausted all our dipstick jokes yet?
Have we?
Chris

G

GreaseMonkey

Not mine,
I have five, and they are all pretty stiff.
Have you noticed how difficult it can be to get a stiff dipstick to go full depth in it's hole?
Chris

J

JoeB

the dipstick in the m104 is bright red, not grey. much brighter than the transmission one, which is a rusty colour reddish brown
I just remembered the grey one was in another benz.

all my dipsticks and holes are clean Chris, so I don't have to worry about transferring contaminated, dirty oil when I wipe them off after putting them in and pulling them out a couple of times to check the oil levels.;)

G

GreaseMonkey

The dipping of a stick is postively archaic. Try the PII method -

dipstick.png

Regards,
BenzBoy
What are we looking at there, a floating arrangement to rotate a pointer on the side of the crankcase?
Neat, you don't even have to get dirty fingers, like my pet####s (oh, sorry, can't say that here) I mean little taps, on the side of the Model T motor, which can be opened with a long handle keeping hands clean.
Chris