Bottle jack?

More threads by BenzBoy

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Is there a SuperCheap Auto near you? :D:D

There are several such places selling cheaper jacks that do not have the load carrying capacity or the height that I require for car with a full chassis. I should have made that clear in my post. I can just see an imported cheapie trying to lift the Flying Lady only to expire when all 3 tonnes settle on it and the wheel is off. :eek::eek::eek:

Dear NRMA - Please send a fork lift so I can put her wheel back on? Hmmmm. Not a good look.

Regards,
BenzBoy

oscar

I know, just kidding.;) I was just surprised noone had replied yet with a brand worthy for the Flying Lady.

When I was wrecking that 280 earlier in the year I went to a local engineering shop and bought a 6 tonne bottle jack. ROVAL Black Jax was the brand but I have no idea where they're made. Probably the PRC like everything else. It worked well, held it's fair share up without sagging although it did spend too long in the elements and now has a bit of rust on the shaft.

s class

Do you specifically want a bottle jack? I would regard a decent trolley as safer and more stable - and they come in sizes from dainty to truck duty.

s class

WIth either bottles or trolley, they can all lift - its the lowering part that separates the good ones from the cheapies. Poor jacks tend to just 'drop' the load no matter how carefully you release them. THis is particularly problematic when lowering a car onto stands. Decent jacks allow smooth control as you release them. Ask the dealer to demo the jack on a convenient car.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Do you specifically want a bottle jack? I would regard a decent trolley as safer and more stable - and they come in sizes from dainty to truck duty.
Yes, a trolley jack would be my choice but one is too big to fit in the luggage compartment for touring. There is a built in jacking system but since it is 75 years old I am not sure I would trust it until I totally overhaul it.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Ask Repco to demonstrate one of their products? Oh boy!!! Repco has gone so far downhill it is nothing more than a supermarket of crap and pap now...more's the pity.
Regards,
BenzBoy

s class

Ah, OK I see what you need. I'm guessing you need a substantial lifting height as well.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Ah, OK I see what you need. I'm guessing you need a substantial lifting height as well.
Spot on. I have found a supplier in Melbourne and looks like I will have to get one freighted up to Sydney. I guess there is little need these days for bottle jacks....
Now to find some Imperial measure tools and a few Whitworth ones as well....
Regards,
BenzBoy

s class

What are Whitworth tools?

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master

It's an old British standard particulary applied to thread size on bolts. There are suppliers in the USA so I guess I can get them here - http://www.samstagsales.com/whitworth.htm
It is just unfortunate that I did not keep a complete set of taps and dies that had belonged to my father when we cleaned out the family home a last year. He had been an engineer and had every conceivable thread size and taps and dies to cut them....I guess we live and learn.
Regards,
BenzBoy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

Sir Joseph Whitworth, Baronet (December 21, 1803 – January 22, 1887) was an English engineer who devised a standard for screw threads with a fixed thread angle of 55° and having a standard pitch for a given diameter.
This soon became the first nationally standardized system; its adoption by the railway companies, who until then had all used different screw threads, leading to its widespread acceptance.
It later became a British Standard, "British Standard Whitworth", abbreviated to BSW and governed by BS 84:1956.