An ambit claim?

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Just when we are told in the media that the price of used cars is falling again we find a gem like this? Shall we pass around the hat?
http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars...4294964493&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=42&silo=1011
I don't doubt it is a fine vehicle but those damned decimals spots just keep moving along like Michel on an overseas jaunt...:D
At this pirce one might expect a little Swissvax treatment to the leather on the front seats?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Just when we are told in the media that the price of used cars is falling again we find a gem like this? Shall we pass around the hat?
http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars...4294964493&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=42&silo=1011
I don't doubt it is a fine vehicle but those damned decimals spots just keep moving along like Michel on an overseas jaunt...:D
At this pirce one might expect a little Swissvax treatment to the leather on the front seats?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Even I cannot move that fast BenzBoy. :p
I guess the owner can only live in hope. :eek:

E200K

Regards,
Benz-Boy

Aren't they called decimal separators as opposed to decimal points? Just a technical point (or separator (pun intended)) but either way, they're in the wrong place for me.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
On this technical point of great moment, I quote from the Wolfram Math World:
"Decimal Point

The symbol used to separate the integer part of a decimal number from its fractional part is called the decimal point. In the United States, the decimal point is denoted with a period (e.g., 3.1415), whereas a raised period is used in Britain (e.g., ), and a decimal comma is used in continental Europe (e.g., 3,1415). The number 3.1415 is voiced "three point one four one five," while in continental Europe, 3,1415 would be voiced "three comma one four one five."

Multiplying by a power of 10, i.e., , is equivalent to moving a decimal point digits to the right, and dividing by is equivalent to moving a decimal point digits to the left. So, for example, , while .

Similarly, multiplying by a power of , i.e., , in base is equivalent to moving the "-ary point" digits to the right. For example, in binary (), , so .

SEE ALSO: Comma, Decimal, Decimal Comma, Decimal Expansion
REFERENCES:
Wells, D. The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers. Middlesex, England: Penguin Books, p. 80, 1986. "\

And also from that great authority on all matters, Mr Wikipedia:
"The decimal separator or decimal point or decimal comma is a symbol used to mark the boundary between the integral and the fractional parts of a decimal number in a positional numeral system.

Different symbols have been and are used for the decimal separator. The choice of symbol for the decimal separator affects the choice of symbol for the thousands separator used in digit grouping. Consequently the latter is treated in this article as well.

The decimal separator is mathematically a radix point. The English term "decimal" is limited to base ten, but the separator in non-decimal numeral systems may be referred to as a radix point. In a binary system, it is sometimes referred to as binary point."

In any case, the Benz is way too expensive. :D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

E200K

Interesting, but I fear Wolfram is bang wrong.

As we all know, the Decimal Separator is a symbol used to mark the boundary between the integral and the fractional parts of a decimal numeral.
In the Middle Ages, just before the internet was invented, a bar over the units digit was used to separate the integral part of a number from its fractional part. Later, a separator (a short, roughly vertical, ink stroke (or pencil)) between the units and tenths position became the norm. When this character was typeset, it was convenient to use the existing comma or period instead. So far so good until the French, being typically awkward, started used a period in printing to make Roman numerals more readable, so the comma was chosen. Many other tin-pot countries also chose to use the period to mark the decimal units position. However, the elite English-speaking countries like England and Argentina took the comma to separate sequences of three digits. Meanwhile, in the U.S., the period (.), which is called a "stop" or "full stop" or both (though sometimes, rather confusingly neither) was used as the standard decimal separator. Obviously the Americans have the biggest "full stops". In the nations of the British Empire, God bless them, although the period could be used in typewritten material, the point (middle dot: ·), which can also be called an interpunct, was preferred for the decimal separator in technologies that could accommodate it, like newspapers and the internet. This had the advantage of reducing confusion in the countries that used the period to separate groups of digits and it was generally clearer in handwriting (pariticularlly when writing on a dotted baseline as on many forms). However, as the middle dot was already in common use in the mathematics world to indicate multiplication, this use of the middle dot as the decimal separator was quite rightly rejected. However, the use of the period was not banned, just sneered upon. When South Africa adopted the metric system late in 1998, it adopted the comma as its Decimal Separator. The rest is history.

I rest my case.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Somwharrrt a storm in a tea cup? We are here talking about whether we call this ". " a point or a separator, are we not? Common usage favours the use of point and I'm sorry, wild horses will not pull me from my course!! :D
Whetever the name, it matters not one jot in the context of the price of the over-priced drophead. It is still an ambit claim.
I admire your pedantry sir - it is the same doggedness which leads to your perfection in detailing. Now if only you would try a little Swissvax. :D:D:D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited:
OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Of course, there is always more ...
The comma as a decimal separator is used in several continental European countries, including Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg, and - we think - also Italy and the Netherlands.
The notational convention of using a punctuation mark to separate the fractional part of a number seems to have begun with John Napier,a Scot, in his book "Descriptio" published in 1616. In this book he proposed using a decimal point (period) to separate the whole number part from the decimal part of a number. In the following year, 1617, in his book "Rhabdologia" he proposed a point or a comma as the decimal sepatatrix. In his writing he used both. To quote Cajori, "Napier vacillated between period and comma; mathematicians have been vacillating in this matter ever since", Florin Cajori, "A History of Mathematical Notation", 1974 page 324. By 1619 the decimal point had become standard in England.
In Earliest Uses of Mathematical Symbols under Grouping the claim is made that the modern system of separating a numeral into groups of 3 with commas first appeared in 1795 in the article "Numeration" in "Mathematical and Philosophical Dictionary" by Hutton. Again the reference is from Cajori.
The confusion doesn't stop there. In the school system in North Amarica teachers have started to use a space rather than a comma to separate the digits in a numeral into groups of three. Thus the number thirty-one thousand three hundred twenty four and six tenths is written 31 324.6. One last point. Notice that the decimal point in the number 31 324.6 in on the line were it is our understanding that in the UK you would write this number with the decimal point floating above the line. In North America the period floating above the line indicates multiplication.......

Now we could solve all this by bringing back Pounds, Shillings and Pence?

Last edited:

E200K

Pedantic? Me, Sir? Of course I am.

Pedantry. When I awake I brush my teeth with it and at night I wash my face with it. Indeed, Pedant would be my middle name if it wan't already John.

Styria

The Godfather
Just to kill off this "Interessante Diskution", in Germanic Europe es ist "null, komma, eins, zwei drei.....I rest MY case :D Regards Styria

N.B. Now, we are talking about this 280SE 3.5 Convertible - well, well, well - as nice and as rare it might be, it requires a complete interior make-over. In other words, whilst the leather might exhibit that 'period patina', in practical terms that description means that it is 'finished' and the rest is not much better. Even with the poor quality photography, the timber does not look the best either...and the price ? Outrageous, no stupid. Regards Styria

E200K

Whilst in the process of drifting off to sleep last night I suddenly started to question the use of the word "ambit" in this thread title. As a result I missed out on a night of dreaming about all things nice like puppies or fluffy bunnies. I hope that car sells soon so I can get some rest.

Styria

The Godfather
Whilst in the process of drifting off to sleep last night I suddenly started to question the use of the word "ambit" in this thread title. As a result I missed out on a night of dreaming about all things nice like puppies or fluffy bunnies. I hope that car sells soon so I can get some rest.

Yeah well, what does the word actually mean ? (I am too lazy to look it up in the "dictatory" :D). Also E200K, I got to 'I missed out on a night of' and I said to myself 'hello,hello, what's this all about' but then after that the post sort of petered out..... didn't it ? Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master

I have four puppies here - I dream of not dreaming about the mischief they get into.
"Ambit claim" as a term in Australia goes back to the 1970s when, with rising inflation, the ACTU would make excessive claims for increased wages in the hope that employers would settle for a smaller percentage of what they were asking. It was a battle tactic that worked for a while but was eventaully seen as greedy. That is, ask for a $100 per week increase and agree to accept the compromise of a $50 increase - that increase you had planned on achieving anyway.
A fine Single Malt should increase you chances of a good night of sleep...or perhaps a glass of warm milk and a digestive biscuit? Cocoa if you are feeling restless...
Regards,
Benz-Boy
PS - I could send you a puppy to cuddle?

E200K

Yeah well, what does the word actually mean ? (I am too lazy to look it up in the "dictatory" :D). Also E200K, I got to 'I missed out on a night of' and I said to myself 'hello,hello, what's this all about' but then after that the post sort of petered out..... didn't it ? Regards Styria

True, but unfortunately at my age most things seem to have petered out. And that certainly isn't an ambit claim.

Styria

The Godfather
I think your reply is priceless - I happen to have a similar problem and honestly I am so glad I do - there is absolutely no satisfaction in busting your gut without the appropriate input. Regards Styria