Aluminimum Panels

More threads by Oversize

John S

Why would Mercedes put an aluminium trunk lid on a standard W116 body? Especially on a diesel which is never going to be used in competition, so why save a pond or so in weight?

I find it hard to believe that is not a sytandard steel lid.

SELfor50

Why would Mercedes put an aluminium trunk lid on a standard W116 body? Especially on a diesel which is never going to be used in competition, so why save a pond or so in weight?

There is actually a bunch of aluminium panels around.. and for some reason, AFAIK, they were only on the Diesels.

John Green suggested I try and find these awhile back, but at the end of the day, for effort and cost involved - probably better off getting custom ones made out of carbon fibre or fibreglass for a racecar. By the time you consider cost / shipping / etc etc.... carbon fibre wouldn't be that much more - and you can customize it.

Cam.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark i have a bonnet and boot from a 300sd that i imported in 2003 unfortunately when they arrived they were to damaged to be used so now sitting in my shed had a couple of panel beaters look at them to badly damaged to bother with repairing but that is life i guess:rolleyes:

Styria

The Godfather
There is actually a bunch of aluminium panels around.. and for some reason, AFAIK, they were only on the Diesels.

John Green suggested I try and find these awhile back, but at the end of the day, for effort and cost involved - probably better off getting custom ones made out of carbon fibre or fibreglass for a racecar. By the time you consider cost / shipping / etc etc.... carbon fibre wouldn't be that much more - and you can customize it.

Cam.

Hi SELfor50, pretty sound and rational thinking. I am not sure what a carbon fibre copy would cost, but Fibreglass could well be an option. I could quite easily approach the Company that manufactures my AMG Reproduction spoilers. Anyone interested ? I would imagine, the more the cheaper per unit. Let us know. Regards Styria

SELfor50

Hi SELfor50, pretty sound and rational thinking. I am not sure what a carbon fibre copy would cost, but Fibreglass could well be an option. I could quite easily approach the Company that manufactures my AMG Reproduction spoilers. Anyone interested ? I would imagine, the more the cheaper per unit. Let us know. Regards Styria

Will let you know. I'm pretty sure Fibreglass bonnet's are illegal for street use. Think it's due to pedestrian laws etc....and the bonnets breaking up on impact etc. I could be wrong though. Even though there are 10 thousand rice burners that have fibreglass bonnets and stuff.

Might be worth finding out how much they'd do a copy of a 116 bonnet anyway.
Doesn't hurt to ask the question.

Styria

The Godfather
Will let you know. I'm pretty sure Fibreglass bonnet's are illegal for street use. Think it's due to pedestrian laws etc....and the bonnets breaking up on impact etc. I could be wrong though. Even though there are 10 thousand rice burners that have fibreglass bonnets and stuff.

Might be worth finding out how much they'd do a copy of a 116 bonnet anyway.
Doesn't hurt to ask the question.

Yeah, I'll get onto that. I guess the big expense is the cost of the mould itself. When I had the AMG reproduction spoilers done, amortising of the mould took a long time - now, of course, it's mine. Will get back in due course. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi styria please do i may be able to convince some one to let me buy some lighter panels:D

Des

Yes the light weight panels were made for the diesel models, I am going on memory here, but someone on the M100 website, (you can search for it) put the standard, and the light weight panels on the scales and they were 50% lighter,

There is also the consideration that the alloy panels dissipate heat more efficiently

Andreas

The Aluminium panels on the 300sd in America were put on the car to reduce weight so that the car would meet the strict american fuel consumption and pollution laws. Lower car weight meant less fuel being used which got the car over the line so that it could be sold in America. I beleive the panels were only on american cars and not sold anywhere else.

Cheers
Andreas