A/C Condenser

More threads by BAR

B

BAR

We have just experienced one of the first hot days since winter and I turned on the A/C and sadly was disappointed with the lack of cooling.

On investigation, I discovered that as a rsult of prior damaged to the grill caused by a hopeless tow truck operator, the grill was pushed into the auxillary fan, which in trun pushed into the condenser.

I need a new fan and condenser.

Anyone have either or both of these available?

If no condenser is avaiiable, has anyone in Australia tried using a newer Ford or GM unit [maybe even a Toyota], given that there should be dozens available from a wrecker?

I'd be pleased to receive any feedback or positvie recommendations.

WGB

All I know is that there are two sizes - 280 type and 450 type.

On top of that a RHD 6.9 has it's Receiver-Dryer on the left side where a 450 has it on the right.

I have had my 450 and my 6.9 both professionally rebuilt and converted to 134a and on both the cars the condensor was considered adequate in size.

I understand the 280 condensor is significantly smaller and is best replaced with a larger one - especially if converting to 134a.

A new electric fan was fitted to my 450 but all that was used was the largest proprietary one that could be fitted and cost less than $200.

http://www.autohausaz.com have the fan for sale but US 450's have their receiver-dryer on the left side like RHD 6.9's so they may have a different condenser.

I can't imagine it would be hard to source a second hand condensor in Oz and even new non-genuine ones (especially a bit bigger than a 450 one for performance) should be easy enough to fit.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bar, if you contact me on my mobile, I have those parts available - second hand and in good condition. I also have several brand new fans. Regards Styria

alabbasi

Very interesting, a new condenser for a 450SEL (LHD) may be the same as a RHD 6.9. If so, they are readily available here whereas the 6.9 condensers are a huge pain in the rear to get hold of (ask me how I know).

OP
B

BAR

Thanks for the offer: Styria has already confirmed that he has one and he lives only a few Kms from me.

I have also had it on good authority from an A/c and radiator shop, that a modern condenser can be fitted and that it would provide improved cooling performance.

The cost in either case is the same being less than AUD $100.

alabbasi

I have 2 6.9's. The US car has a new condenser and uses R12. It cools pretty well.
The Canada spec one has had a new condenser, new hoses, aluminum climate control servo and runs R134. It blows so cold it will turn your fingers blue.

Anyone who tells you that you can't get decent cooling from R134 in your classic Merc is telling porky pies.