More threads by Lukas

B13

250,000 is bugger-all for a well maintained 6.9 or even any motor as fitted to a W116. Properly maintained they should run to over 400,000km before needing any major internal work.

Ian.

WGB

Check for rust - at least you know where to look.

Check that engine has been maintained and that mileage is at least roughly correct ( I hear the odometer stopped 1 month ago - oh yeah)

Check the hydraulic suspension for obvious leaks at struts and especially front and rear levelling valves.

Find out if any of the 5 spheres have been replaced - or else they will need to be.

Other than that it is really the same as most other 116's except some parts cost more and it will always be worth more at the other end if you ever sell it.

Bill

Last edited:
OP
L

Lukas

Hi Bill,

Does indeed look like the current owner is / was from that other forum. Also a report in there that the odo stopped working, so will need to test that out.

There is also some talk about euro spec vs Aust. spec vs US spec - apparently the US cars are somewhat crippled in power output due to their emissions regulations of the time?

How do you tell where the car came from - euro ones have the oil cooler adj. to the radiator - do US cars have that?

Lukas

Last edited:

B13

How do you tell where the car came from - euro ones have the oil cooler adj. to the radiator - do US cars have that?

Luckily its not rocket science...

Aus delivery cars have the aussie compliance plate on the firewall

US cars start with VIN number 116036 12 and have enormous bumpers and no aus compliance plate on the firewall

Euro cars have no air pump and usually an oil cooler, and again no aus compliance plate. should also have a 116036 22 vin number.

I'm 99.9% this is a proper euro, the version you want for best performance.

I.

B13

Since we're on the subject of that car, which I think is a good buy for the $ the seller is asking, there are some things about the photos with irk me slightly, and anyone seriously contemplating the car should ask the seller:

The photos showing the front of the car I can't tell whether the headlight wipers are there or not. I've never seen a 6.9 without headlight wipers (although there's always an exception I suppose).

There are no clear pictures of the wheels, or even mention of them, which is curious as they appear to be 17" BBS rims like I have on my car, and would add considerable appeal and value to the car. I hope they go with them and wouldn't want anyone here bidding on the car only to be told later the wheels weren't coming with it.

Pretty sure the seller bought from the USA back some time ago one of those aftermarket red reflector number plate units which span the area between the taillights... strange that there are no pictures of the back of the car as its probably got one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCEDES-BENZ-W116-REAR-TAIL-LIGHTS-REFLECTOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42613QQihZ010QQitemZ200233033621QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Still, it seems like a lot of car for the $ and if I was still 6.9-less I'd be going to see it pronto.

Ian.

PS its also got those rear-seat footrests that Styria is a fan of....

OP
L

Lukas

Ta for that B13 - interestingly, the rusty 350SE has both an oil cooler and a 116 028 22 VIN - hmmmmm.

Lukas

B13

22 just means RH drive, 12 means LH drive. As you would expect for a car from the USA, it would be a factory LH drive...

Yours is a Euro 350SE, no shadow of a doubt: has the oil cooler, no air/con (all Aus delivery 350SE's for 1976-onwards had a/c), and your car has no aus compliance plate on the firewall.

I also bet there's no air pump under the alternator.

I.

s class

Both my 6.9's are LHD euros and have VINs 116 036 12 .. ....

B13

I should have been clearer but then again don't know why I brought up the vin number bizzo.

In Oz-tray-lya we drive in the wrong side of the road, so if he was looking at a 6.9 it would want to be a 116036 22. (Remember we established some time ago, possibly at the other web site that LH-RH steering conversions were not feasable), so anything with a 116036 12 number in Aus should be treated with much caution, esp. if the steering is on the RH side.

With regards to US mkt 6.9s, I'm saying that a US car as well as the enormous bumpers and quad headlights, should also have the LHD and a number with 116036 12.

I.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Lukas - it sounds like it is worth a look - or maybe even a bid, sight unseen. My main concern is rust as it comes from Queensland. (From the coast or inland?). Having a background in Lancia I have a paranoid fear of rust and you probably do too now. If you can satisfy yourself that it is not rusty then why not go for it? Everything can be fixed with a bit of advice from the forum here and some patience and a bit of money.
My recommendation if you want it is to make an offer or sit out the auction and then try for it. I know you are concerned about your lack of skill/knowledge but you will find a lot of assistance here. On the other hand, Mercules car is also worth it, so you have at least 2 to choose from.
Do you want a 6.9? I would. It's a bit like comparing a 20/25 with a P2...
Good luck either way.
Regards,
BenzBoy

WGB

Hi Bill,

There is also some talk about euro spec vs Aust. spec vs US spec - apparently the US cars are somewhat crippled in power output due to their emissions regulations of the time?

Lukas

The Aus spec car has similarities to a RHD US spec car but with less emission gear and a euro exterior appearance in lights and bumpers. It has a bigger radiator, 8.0:1 compression and no oil cooler. It will have a compliance plate and started life with 260HP.

The Euro spec varies depending on what country it was designated for but they start with 8.8:1 compression (which runs best with 98 octane fuel) and an oil cooler on the LH side of the radiator which is the identical oil cooler which is found bolted to the RH side of a 450 Euro but upside down. The 6.9 Euro is rated at 286HP.

I have two 1979 Euro cars a 450 and a 6.9. My 450 was UK delivered and has the UK standard spec while my 6.9 was a Hong Kong delivery. I like the euro spec which is capable of more power with some extra simplicity and doesn't seem to have any radiator issues so long as it is maintained properly.

I used to think that a good Aussie car had less rust issues but I'm not so sure having experienced two Euro's. If the Euro's have been looked after the rust I have seen is confined to areas of old accident repair and the sills. I do not drive either car by choice in the rain but that is not a great problem in Western Australia.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Whilst the car looks, well, reasonably nice and straight, the pics. really show you absolutely nothing. In my view, anyone contemplating purchase would need to look at that car personally or entrust someone (like B13) with a proper inspection.

The present price of $6500.00 is not in bargain basement territory and one would need to know what sort of a car is being offered for that kind of money. Regards Styria