6.9 on fleabay. BIN $6500

More threads by Fotografa

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
This car is WA...

John S

On first impressions the body looks very nice, pitty they didn't vacuum the interior.

Claims to have 'wood burl dash and accents', but the photos show Zebrano timber. Also all the UK 280's & 450's had a large clock instead of a rev counter, whereas this 6.9 has the standard Australian set up of a rev counter with a small clock inserted - I don't know if the UK 6.9's were originally the same as the UK delivered 450's, but it makes me suspicious.

TJ 450

It is quite a reasonable car (I've seen it up close).

It has the round base water pump, plus someone has changed out the rev counter and speedo face with that from a 450SEL, as they must not have like the combination speedo face as from the UK. Someone has retrofitted a burl console set, but the car originally had zebrano, hence the upper set.

Edit; I daresay the rev counter is original, 5,300rpm redline.

Tim

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Looks like a well used car, doesn't it ? If I recall correctly, it belongs to an Internet User by the name of LiaMerc who was a member of topklasse at one stage. Isn't this the second time that the car has come up for sale - previously listed at about $8k. ? Anyway, it's not a 1978 model as advertised. Probably 1976, not that it matters that much. I've known of at least one 1976 model that absolutely 'howled' when you pressed the loud pedal.

As you say, Tim, it is a 450 speedometer, so it will read about 20% fast. The 5000 rev counter is correct for that model, as is the water pump that's the same as on 6.3s, albeit with a housing that looks like a 6.3 unit, but is NOT. It's a rare housing, interchanges with nothing else.

The back seat is in the usual worn out condition, yet the fronts look very good. Are they leather or MB-Tex ? They suspiciously look like the later. Under bonnet section has a well worn appearance. Regards Styria

John S

Oh yes, diff ratios and the problems they can cause. If it's a 450 speedo and they haven't changed the ratio to match the 2.65 diff used in a 6.9 from the 3.07 ratio used on a 450, the speedo will read about 15% slow - easy to get booked with that problem.

I can see what you mean Styria, regarding the front seats, looks terrible, the worst looking engine bay I have seen in a W116, which doesn't match the interior or the exterior. An interesting car.