1938 540K Streamliner

More threads by motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
The 1-of-1 1938 Mercedes aluminum-bodied 540K Streamliner was truly ahead of its time. Aerodynamics was the goal. The grill sat flush with the body. The three pointed star ornament was replaced with a star painted onto the hood. The coupe had a lower profile than the standard model and the body and undercarriage were smoothed out to improve airflow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ZHEGXYzwM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEDld9YSJkM

Attachments

• IMG_7796-720x540.jpg
    IMG_7796-720x540.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7798-720x540.jpg
    IMG_7798-720x540.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I kinda like the shape.
Not mad about the painted star, but I can understand the idea behind that

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Definitely something I would love to see in the flesh. It looks like a car that you could spend a while going over the details.

Styria

The Godfather
Geoff, I take it that this is not the model known as the Autobahn Kurier, is it ? I have seen that model at Mirbach Classics when I was over in Europe in 2005. Quite a car, and probably in some way a contemporary of the Bentley that raced the Orient Express from London to Paris.

This is a good find, and I am amazed at the skill level in fabricating the body. I guess I should really look up and illustrate the Kurier that I saw, so that others know what I am talking about. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
We've gotten away a bit from the original post/thread submitted by Motec6.9, but I must admit that I find the stories relating to the Autobahn Kurier of great interest. If you open Paul Russell's link, there is a further link relating to the 2008 concorso villa d'este which featured this car, among many others. Open up the Kurier link, and a lot of further information and photos are displayed. It is worthwhile to research those details.

Whilst on that page featuring many of the entrants, there is also a great deal of info. about each car. If you love the classics, and the elegant, and the rare, and the pricey, there is a lot of good reading available. Regards Styria

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son