Work on the 6.3

More threads by abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
To be sure SIX 3 is ready for the 16th and refreshed after the M100 rally I've put in some hours and a handfull of bucks.

I replaced all the nylon bushs in the floor shift, a sod of a job, 2 are changed from below and are an interference fit. I put them in the microwave for 10 secs, they are nylon so soften, and pushed them in. The other 2 are in the shift lever on the floor, 1 was completely disintergrated, the other as hard as.

My shift action is now tight and positive, worth the hours under the car on stands, oh I dream of a hoist

Second job is the throttle linkage, the balls and sockets wear over the decades as do the rubber ball joints in the linkage, BTW these are a 116 part and as cheap as chips through the Classic Centre.

DSC00341.jpg
DSC00337.jpg
I had to drill out the old balls and bolt in new parts
DSC00338.jpg
Parts cache
DSC00342.jpg

Children are home so more soon:)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi abl567, you know, I carried out exactly the same job on the gear change linkage on my Astral Silver 6.9. The bushes that I am talking about, and I am sure you must be as well, are the ones that are part of the gear change quadrant itself. They basically position the cross shaft within the quadrant. Yes, a hoist would be ever so handy, but you can manage.

Really looking forward to our track day, although I'll just be a spectator. Regards Styria

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Hi abl567, you know, I carried out exactly the same job on the gear change linkage on my Astral Silver 6.9. The bushes that I am talking about, and I am sure you must be as well, are the ones that are part of the gear change quadrant itself. They basically position the cross shaft within the quadrant. Yes, a hoist would be ever so handy, but you can manage.

Really looking forward to our track day, although I'll just be a spectator. Regards Styria

That's them, probably the same part number.

The throttle linkage work also made a big difference in response and performance as the pump rack and throttle valve are closer to spec.