Work on my 6.9

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
With a mileage reading of 179,195, I decided that it was high time to carry out some maintenance and some unfinished work going back to when Gleaming Beauty was off the road being repainted and refurbished. I had put on an additional five thousand miles since recommissioning her after the respray, and those miles were trouble free and without any work having to be carried out other than an engine oil and filter change. Incidentally, Gleaming Beauty's speedo is calibrated in miles, rather than the usual kilometers, having obtained that speedo some years back (maybe three) just to be different.

GleamingBeautyRestoration021.jpg

There were a number of things that bugged me and I have referred to those in another thread when responding to Mark. The catalyst to take Gleaming Beauty off the road was in no small measure made possible by the purchase of the 420SEL, as this gave me time and flexibility to attend to GB. One item that has been bugging me was a slightly leaking radiator that had been recored. Just ever a slight leak, but annoying. So that had to come out.

GleamingBeautyRestoration010-2.jpg

Another item that annoyed me was a constant, albeit slight leak, coming from
the bottom hose that is attached to the tank holding the hydraulic oil. The only way to access that hose is to remove the tank.

EasternCreek2012026.jpg

Whilst it was removed from the car, I gave the tank a thorough internal clean, but also decided to replace the hose that emanates from the bottom of the hydraulic pump, and then feeds oil to the rest of the suspension system. Another item of concern was the brake servo unit. For about four to six weeks I had been driving virtually without power assistance - you can do that, either safely or better still unsafely, by looking well ahead to road and traffic conditions whilst driving. So that unit had to come out, but I didn't mind this as I have been wanting to replace the front anti sway bar rubber mounts for a long time. They had never been touched in sixteen years of my ownership of GB. The photo hereunder will illustrate the difference between old and new.

GleamingBeautyRestoration022.jpg

Of course, gaining access to the servo unit and sway bar rubber mounts required the removal of the instrument cluster, master cylinder and the front suspension valve located on the left hand side of the firewall. More to come. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
To continue my journey - just some pics to start off with.

GleamingBeautyRestoration025.jpg

GleamingBeautyRestoration023.jpg

GleamingBeautyRestoration020.jpg

GleamingBeautyRestoration024.jpg

Okay, the second picture illustrates the area beside the fusebox and under the brake servo unit. Luckily, it was free of rust, but obviously quite decrepid and dirty looking and for those not familiar with GB's history, she used to be taxi white when new delivered to Kenya. In the last two years, I have of course endeavoured to repaint the under bonnet area as best as possible in the MB877 Petrol and, by and large, it's come up fairly well. With the servo unit removed, I couldn't wait to get into that area and paint it up. There is a picture somewhere in my collection - well no, there isn't, but take it as read that the area was repainted. The cost to me of rebuilding the brake servo unit came to a hefty $300.00, and I will also have to replace the brake master cylinder. The one removed had been leaking fluid into the servo unit.

One of the pictures also shows the location of one of the horns, and that aspect of my work I will cover in another thread. It's quite interesting - at least, that's what I think. Right at this moment, the repaired radiator has been re-installed, together with the hydraulic reservoir and new hoses, I have also refitted the servo unit and a used and checked (two years ago) brake master cylinder, and I have also refitted the front levelling valve. There is other work that I have also carried out, but more of that in another thread. In addition, I have refitted the anti-sway bar rubbers, so that's another area of annoyance that's been taken care of. Regarding those anti sway bar rubbers - please note that they are fitted by following certain procedures, and I am hoping to detail those by way of PDF documents.

N.B. Unfortunately, it would appear that the system does not permit the posting of PDF documents once a post has been edited. Thus, that anomaly will be taken care of by way of another post. Regards Styria BTW, forgive me for showing the Caddie - somehow it sneaked in and I don't have the heart (At the moment anyway) to remove it.

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
This is another set of illustrations - only the suspension systems. Problems with the internet causing some of these faults. The main concern is that the drawings are now available on TK. Regards Styria

N.B. Okay, these are the schematic drawings of front and rear suspension components. Apologies for this - as I said, PC problems. However, the workshop manual instructions in regards to the fitting of the sway bar bushes are contained within the following post.

N.B. I apologize for not being able to post the follow-up PDF on the fitting of the bushes - the PC just will not co-operate.

Attachments

• W116-Suspension Illustrations .pdf
    915.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Thank you Styria looking forward to seeing how the work goes . Geoff

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Anyway, we can't wait for the PC to make up its mind. Thus, let me talk about -

THE STORY ON HORNS

For many months now, none of the horns on Gleaming Beauty worked. For the uninitiated, or not knowing, later model 6.9s were fitted with a quad horn arrangement, neatly controlled by a little switch on the dash. If you wanted the normal 'PAB', the switch would be in the normal position. If on the other hand, however, you wanted a melodious and 'shrill' sound, all it would take was to push the button towards the 'country horns' - very snazzy, just the sort of thing to impress your friends with (none would be amused), or to baffle a stranger by alternating between the PAB and the melodious.

Anyway, I thought I would be smart and install triple compressor operated air horns. I managed a neat installation, got a once or twice 'rprprprp' from the compressor (not the horns !) and a fuse that would continually 'pop'. Just all too much for me, and I let it all go and in the end I finished up having no horns at all. How very depressing ! :mad:

In order to change the leaking hydraulic hose behind the AMG (reproduction) spoiler had to be removed which, in turn, exposed the two horns. I should point out that on a 6.9, removal of the 'PAB' horns is just about impossible on account of the air cell located under the battery on the right side, and the hydraulic reservoir on the left side. Anyway, having removed the hydraulic reservoir, I sort of figured that removal would be easy. However, I needed some replacement horns, both the 'PAB' and the melodious ones, and that was going to be easy - or was it? I figured second hand Holdewn units would do the job. No worries, but at a cost of $55.00 each for four second hand. Hmm., not a good option. That was from a wrecker. New from a mate of mine at a dealership - $110.00 each, trade. Okay, to a Benz wrecker - yeah mate, got to get some from WA, $50.00 bucks each to you, plus freight. Well, never mind, the dealer shouldn't be all that much more - you know, you hear the stories of wreckers charging more than new. Not in this instance, I am afraid, they were $180.00 each from Marshalls. So, what next - ah, I've got an idea. What about horns from the 420SEL ? Right size, right 'PAB' noise and that would take care of two to put on GB. BTW, that's what I had to work with to start off.

Well, again Photobucket is driving me crazy. Just does not want to play ball. Anyway, I had four horns, if not more. Some large Finnie vintage 'PABs', some large, and some small ROVER melodious horns, two 'PABs' from the 420, and two genuine 6.9 melodious units that sounded somewhat, shall we say, crappy. Incidentally, the prices were an eye opener - if someone would have asked me for a price on the horns (NOT the big Finnie units), I would have said 'give us a tenner each'. Anyway, you learn, don't you ? (MORE TO COME)

GleamingBeautyRestoration011-2.jpg

These are now the four horns. Photobucket - crazy !!

Another N>B. Hopefully, the next picture will show the completed installation of the 'melodious' Rover horns on the 420SEL.

Gleaming%20Beauty%20Restoration%20029_zps27a62ebe.jpg

Ah, success - at long last.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You know, I have a set of great compact air horns here ;)

Tony66_au

I ended up refurbishing mine as they had lost their "note".

A simple clean out with compressed air and brake cleaner to flush, I then adjusted the tone with the screw on the diaphragm until i got it right and then used nail polish (Blue) to seal the threads.

So dont chuck em out and have a play!

They are servicable and mine just had a bit of oil and accumulated gunk.

Oversize

Grand Master
I need a full set too as they're rusted or broken. Last time I ordered aftermarket Basch units through Bursons and they were good quality and sounded great. Not sure if Bosch still supply them since there's been many changes in the company....

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Im actually thinking of a set of La Coocaracha horns for mine............

Tony, would you be prepared to dance to that tune ? I mean, that would just make it complete ! :D Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
You know, I have a set of great compact air horns here ;)

Michel, if you could bring them to our TK day ? Just remember, with 6.9s, only the standard size 'PABS' will fit in the space provided. As far as the melodious country horns are concerned, there is extra space that's been provided for them, and I was going to fit Rover horns as per the 420SEL illustration. However, please bring them along with you. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I need a full set too as they're rusted or broken. Last time I ordered aftermarket Basch units through Bursons and they were good quality and sounded great. Not sure if Bosch still supply them since there's been many changes in the company....

Mark, were they expensive ? As I said, genuine Hoden horns were $110.00 each. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
To get back to my story. As I mentioned, the large Bosch 'Finnie' horns were just too big to fit on the 420SEL, so I left just the one, plus one of the melodious Rover horns as a temporary fix. The sound was absolutely awful. Anyway, you guys can now see how I fitted the Rover horns.

Getting back to GB - I needed an Auto Electrician to sort out why the fuse kept on blowing whenever I would switch to the country horns on the dash. It was simply connecting the wrong wire to the wrong horn, but in any case nothing worked. Thus, now having the 420 units as spares, I decided to fit them to GB and they are working a treat. As I have indicated previously, the original GB horns were almost impossible to remove from the car - particularly on the right side. Removing the spoiler initially turned out to be an absolute 'Must'. So all that's left now is to fit melodious country horns to GB - either the Rover units, or the ones that Michel will bring on Sunday. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
From memory they were about $50ea. If you only intend to use one pair the 'snail' looking ones are far better than the conventional type. They just need to be mounted so they don't fill up with debris or water....

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It is amazing how quickly threads seem to disappear down the gurgler - I will have to make a concerted effort to bring this story on my work up to date. Please stand by. Regards Styria

N.B...................

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, no one has been standing to attention, have they ? Anyway, to continue on after this lengthy break. The two Rover horns are still on the 420SEL, and that marvel of reliability was taken to a transport company at Lansvale last Thursday, 2nd July to new owner.

Since starting the chapter on the replacement of horns, I have managed to source some genuine 6.9 units with chromed dome covers, and they are working well. So that's all done, and I am pleased as it is nice to know that the twin horns arrangement is working well and as intended by the company. Just as an aside, not that long ago I had the privilege of driving a 600 - Chassis 100. It was fitted with the special Mercedes Windhorn - all of Wentworthville are still awake to the sound of that horn. Beautiful - like a Freightliner horn. Regards. Styria