VW reviews

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
For Styria........ Oh ye of little faith ! Google "New Golf Reviews" and perhaps trade in that Honda ! I pick mine up mid January and am looking forward to flashing through those 6 manual gears.

And Michel, much as I appreciated the chance to sample the A Class, I prefer this VW (at half the price ) $19500 plus on road costs. Rides better and drives better and should be as trouble free as an A. It's the same car as an Audi with a different badge front and rear.
Sean

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Gentlemen, I am with Sean on this one. The VW would be my choice as well.
Not only is price a winner for the quality of the product but that 6 speed gear box would have any real motorist drooling. Go Sean! :D
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, I know Sean, and I certainly won't argue with you. I guess among all of us, Helmet is the one most qualified to offer valid opinions and assessments involving years of experience in servicing and repairing all manner mechanical issues or problems, relating to both old and new.

I can only speak of what I hear from time to time by owners (like yourself), former owners (perhaps not always a reliable guide), what I read in various publications and radio programmes, and of course, reviews freely available on the internet. In addition, one of my boys did purchase a brand new Golf some five years back, and he had a bunch of computer problems that VW refused to acknowledge (or did not want to know how to fix), resulting in horrible fuel usage and the final straw as far as ownership was concerned were extraordinarily high service charges, and replacement of the front disc rotors BEFORE the pads were worn out - well, about the same amount of wear. The cost of the brake job at the time worked out to $1300.00....and then you hear some horrible tales about the Caddy..... I'll make myself scarce now. Regards Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
With service cost I never ever go near a Dealer. Warranty must be honoured as long as the car is serviced by a licenced mechanic. Parts are readily available from the aftermarket , in O.E. quality. My C Class has never been near a Dealer except for warranty issues. A phone call to customer service usually stirs the Dealer up. Failing that a letter from a Solicitor to head office works. Both my daughters have Law degrees and they take no prisoners when called to duty !
Fair trading now seems to have some teeth. VW have learned the hard way with their shoot the messenger response to the Gearbox issues. They also redesigned the whole car to address various other issues.
Their sales plumetted over night and are still in the doldrums.
A sullied reputation is hard to over come.

Sean