UMB690 is in recess.

More threads by WGB

WGB

AMG69 purchased the personal number plates on my 6.9 - UMB690 - and I purchased them off him when I purchased the car.

There were a couple of issues with the plates which caused some difficulties with the transfer of ownership - the biggest was that an unregistered and encumbered Holden Station Wagon in South Australia shared the same Rego Number and had somehow locked itself into the REVS Computer as my car.

My rego papers also give the number as UMB690 but at the bottom they are referred to as UMB690-8. This suggests to me there are seven other users of the same number in Australia.

Sausage1.jpg

On Anzac Day last Saturday I was cruising into my usual Saturday morning hospital round when I was tailed by the local constabulary who pulled me over and asked my to explain why I was driving an unregistered car.

I said "I don't think so" and pointed to the current rego sticker. This apparently wasn't considered adequate proof of registration and as I didn't have the rego papers and accompanying receipt with me he reminded me he could order me to have my car towed home.

I said I was just a law abiding Doctor on his Saturday morning rounds to which he demanded proof of my Medical Qualifications. As I don't normally carry my Diplomas and practising certificate in any of my cars I did point out to him that my name had been painted on the two Medical Surgeries adjacent to the two local Police Stations for 24 years and my Driver's Licence with Photo at least proved I was me.

No infringement notice was written out and somewhat shattered I continued on my way.

He had demanded that I return to their Station with my Rego Papers and receipt on the (WA only) Anzac Holiday Monday - I did (40 minute return drive)and the Station was locked and unattended (of course). I returned to my local Police Station at Kalamunda and presented my documents to a perplexed Duty Constable.

On arrival home I said to my wife that I didn't want those plates on my car any more as this was the third hiccup with them and so I decided to retrieve an old set of Plates that I purchased at the first Plate auction in Western Australia in May 1985 and had been on mine and most family members cars over the years.

In WA when you own these plates you own them forever unless ownership is transferred but if not on a car at any time they are stored by Licencing for the owner.

During the plate transfer at Midland Licensing Centre the lady behind the counter confirmed that my 6.9 was correctly registered and that I was the third person that day that had had the same problem over the weekend and that the Police had a problem with their computer.

Anyway here is a picture of my 24 year old plates affixed to my car. Those who know me will know that this is simply my surname as it has been for all members of my family for the past 1,000 years and no other intent is meant or implied.

Babe1.jpg

You will see that flash photography affects the quality of the reflection and the letters are actually a royal blue in colour.

If you photograph the plate with a flash from an angle the letters disappear and those of you who know how Police Slant Radar Cameras work will realise the usefulness and economy this has been in the past - and it's all quite legal.

So there you are.

Bill

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Bill - I am sorry to read that the police were clearly having a 'bad hair' day. Rego lables in NSW have the checkout receipt printed on them including the date of payment and receipt number and maybe that is to provide evidence to them of payment.
Anyway, the bright side to the story is that your new plates are superior to the old. They are your plates and unique so at least you won't make the mistake of getting into an unregistered Holden (or any of the other cars carrying your old reg) if you are in a hurry!!!! Will the old plates get re-cycled now, so that on another day, another person will be asked to prove ownership?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I bet the 'constable' who pulled you up and gave you a hard time was still in nappies? :rolleyes:

Only twice have I been unduly harrassed by the 'local' police to which I 'recommended' they find real drug dealers to ambush and give a hard time to.

Let's face it....

The 6.9 is a real babe, just like the owner..:p

Parks

Anyway here is a picture of my 24 year old plates affixed to my car. Those who know me will know that this is simply my surname as it has been for all members of my family for the past 1,000 years and no other intent is meant or implied.

Babe1.jpg

that number plate is awesome Bill, the funniest thing about it is the fact so many people will think so many different things about it, but you know why its there:D

But I would definately change the plates aswell, I wouldnt want the hassle and I would say that it would probably happen many more times... Brent

OP
WGB

WGB

Bill - I am sorry to read that the police were clearly having a 'bad hair' day. Rego lables in NSW have the checkout receipt printed on them including the date of payment and receipt number and maybe that is to provide evidence to them of payment.
Anyway, the bright side to the story is that your new plates are superior to the old. They are your plates and unique so at least you won't make the mistake of getting into an unregistered Holden (or any of the other cars carrying your old reg) if you are in a hurry!!!! Will the old plates get re-cycled now, so that on another day, another person will be asked to prove ownership?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Hi BB,

Our labels were filled in the same way until about 20 years ago and up until a year ago they had a serial number on them.This has now gone as well and they only show the expiry date (Month and Year only).

Both sets of plates are my own property until I sell them and the UMB 690 plates will sit at licencing until or if I ever sell the car when I will put them back on.

I have always liked the "Babe" plates but when I purchased my first Benz (a Nautik Blau 126 320-SE) in 1989 I didn't want anyone following me home and hurting my kids etc.

One by one my wife and various children have had the plates on various cars but usually the extra attention means they are removed after a while.

At my age any attention is probably gratefully received.:D

Bill

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi WGB, both car and plate look pretty good to me. I would imagine that the plate "BABE" would sell for big bucks in this state. Do you have a similar fetish for plates in WA - as you'd probably be aware, 'unusual' plates are very popular.

That little lip spoiler also looks the part, and I could not help but notice the large, single exhaust pipe sticking out from under the bumper. If I remember correctly, AMG69 had that exhaust system fitted some three years ago. Regards Styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
As you could probably guess, my avitar is also my rego plate. It cost me $180 eight years ago from the RTA. If you want such a plate now, you can only pay for a yearly subscription for it. That is one thing I certainly NOT have done!! If the RTA ask for a subscription in the future, they can stick it!

OP
WGB

WGB

Hi Styria,

The "BABE" plate cost me $500 in the second auction they had in WA in May 1985 but it's mine forever unless I sell it or hand it on.

The exhaust system is a "Magnaflow" Stainless system with single pipe after the join and two mufflers. The front muffler is probably a resonator. It makes a little burble and I worry about the noise level in case I am accosted by the Thought Police but so far no problems.

I must say the whole experience has made me so determined that even if they found fault with the car I would just apply some of my savings to make sure the car kept going and they didn't get it off the road.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Styria,

The "BABE" plate cost me $500 in the second auction they had in WA in May 1985 but it's mine forever unless I sell it or hand it on. I remember a NSW plate No. 497 (just the three digits) set the owner back $28k. some six to seven years ago - and he had to buy it auction in order to buy out his sister's half share in the plate. Incidentally, that plate used to be on abl567's 300SEL 6.3.

The exhaust system is a "Magnaflow" Stainless system with single pipe after the join and two mufflers. The front muffler is probably a resonator. It makes a little burble and I worry about the noise level in case I am accosted by the Thought Police but so far no problems.

I must say the whole experience has made me so determined that even if they found fault with the car I would just apply some of my savings to make sure the car kept going and they didn't get it off the road.

Bill

Hi WGB, I reckon that plate would have to be worth, say, 20 grand nowadays - forgetting the present economic conditions. Michel may have some thoughts on its value.

I am a little surprised at your line of thinking regarding the "street compliance" of your car - you know, when in certain parts of Sydney (particularly West and Southwest), the number of 'hotrods' screaming along is quite staggering. They don't seem to have any problems getting their cars passed for rego. Or what about Harleys ? How do they pass their noise tests ? Some are quite indecent and offensive. No, I reckon you're worrying needlessly. Regards Styria

Last edited: